TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
CrazyCampers

Default Moving TM in garage and leveling

We are planning on ordering a 2720SL this week. In preparation, we are reorganizing our garage so there is more room to store it.

I believe we should be able to back it into our garage without a problem. Once inside the garage, I was hoping we could unhitch it, jack it up with the scissor jacks, slip vehicle skates under the tires, undo the jacks, and slide the TM a foot or two to the side. I was planning on using 2 commercial vehicle skates that are rated for moving a 3 ton vehicle. I don't think we need something to back it in, just for sliding it over. After moving it, we would jack it back up and remove the skates.

Would this work? Can the scissor jacks be used to raise the TM up high enough to get vehicle skates under the tires (5" or so)?

What is the best way to store the TM in the garage? I've read that you want to keep the weight off the tires. Can you do this by just using the scissor jacks high enough to barely take the weight off? I assume you still use wheel chocks for safety.

Also I looked at the threads discussing leveling the TM at a campsite. I like the idea of the BAL tire leveler. I assume you jack up the TM, slide the leveler under the low side, and then use the tire leveler to adjust the sideways level. Is this the correct procedure for using a tire leveler. I assume you then adjust the jacks for front-back level and stabilizing.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
Scott O

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCampers View Post

Can the scissor jacks be used to raise the TM up high enough to get vehicle skates under the tires (5" or so)?

What is the best way to store the TM in the garage? I've read that you want to keep the weight off the tires. Can you do this by just using the scissor jacks high enough to barely take the weight off? I assume you still use wheel chocks for safety.
1st question: Interesting idea, but I doubt it. I can only get mine about an inch or so off the ground.

2nd question: I lower the tongue, which raises the rear. Then lower the rear jacks. Then raise the tongue, which raises the front. Then lower the front jacks. This will allow the wheels to be slightly off the ground. Since the TM is not on the wheels, it is unlikely to roll! But I use the wheel chocks anyhow.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
CrazyCampers

Hmmmm. What about if we put blocks of wood under the jacks? Wouldn't that let you raise the tires higher?

Trying to find a solution...
Old 08-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

A few pictures of the garage opening and the storage area would open a lot of suggestions! Visuals take away the ?'s and help the mind relate!

I store my 08 2619 outside, opened and uncovered in West Central Florida, 2 miles from the coast! In 2 years of ownership and 35,000 miles of travel across the USA & Canada to Alaska, She is still leak free and the finish and caulking is original and still looking good!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
CrazyCampers

I can't post pictures right now, but I have a three car garage with very little extra room on the sides. It has a two car door for the first two stalls and a one car door for the third stall, which is also shorter.

We plan on storing my VW Beetle in the third stall, which also has a workbench and tools in it. We plan on storing the TV (a Durango) in the first stall and the TM in the middle stall. There is a pole between the second and third stalls.

Unless we can shift the TM over a foot or so once it is in the garage, there would not be room for my husband to park his Durango far enough over to get out on the driver's side. (He is a big guy.)

So we want to pull the car in through the larger garage door and then shift it over to the side, past the door edge, near the pole. The right edge of the TM would be past the right edge of the garage door. I thought I saw a picture of a TM in someone's garage on here in which it looked like they had done this.

In my subdivision, the HOA does not allow any outside parking. In any case, I would want the TM parked inside because of weather up here. We really want to park in the garage without having to park my husband's Durango outside.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
CrazyCampers

This is a drawing I just scribbled of it. Hopefully you can look at it with this link. (Not to scale but I hope you get the idea.)

Old 08-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

In that case you should be able to back the TM in on an angle and with the wheel on the tongue jack just maneuver it into position! They do roll quite easily, on 3 wheels, on a nearly level surface! I have moved mine around on the driveway by myself!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
CrazyCampers

I'm not sure if we could do that with the slope of our driveway. I would also be afraid of hitting the pole since we want it to be within inches of the pole. I will suggest DH try that but the dolly idea might be a Plan B.

Thank you for the suggestion!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I have a powermover which works very, very well. Your issue is that pole, and whether or not you can get a proper angle to move the TM into place with that pole there. Outside of that, a powermover would work.

As to the geometric specifics, someone more skilled than I with proper measurements and a CAD program might be able to work out the angles.

Third, do you have the height inside the garage itself to raise the TM to get the dollies underneath the tires? I'm less worried about the mechanics, and more the clearance.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
CrazyCampers

I think it would be fine in terms of headroom. The AC is the only possible issue and it should not be going too close sideways to the garage door tracks when up on the skates. The vehicle skates only need a few inches I believe.

I'm afraid it might be one of those situations where we will have to try it once we get the TM home and if it doesn't work, park the TV outside until we get a solution. I was wondering if there are any options such as different jacks that might help as we haven't placed the order yet.