TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2003, 10:07 AM   #1
Steverino

Default Chesapeake Bay CG Suggestions?

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions for good campgrounds along the Chesapeake Bay, especially along Maryland's Eastern Shore. We looked at a couple, but they were the sorts of places where people park a trailer till it falls apart, cheek by jowl with others, all with decks, sheds and all manner of semi-permanent junk. Not our idea of a vacation spot... Better would be a bit of space, some vegetation, water access, and maybe hookups? Maybe I'm just dreaming...

Thanks,

Steve
Old 08-21-2003, 04:48 PM   #2
Happytrails

Default Re:Chesapeake Bay CG Suggestions?

We were there last October. We drove all the way to stay at the state park right on the beach only to find out they don't allow pets because of the horses in Assategue which is where you're thinking about. You can travel a little further south and stay at Chinoteque, but didn't go there at all and can't comment on it. We finally settled on a campground called Frontiertown. http://www.frontiertown.com/ It wasn't all that bad tho we were at the end of the season when we went. They did have a lot of activities, a waterslide and a few other things for the kids, and even had two buffalo wandering around at the entrance! The campground was pretty clean. Yes, there were a few "full time" sites there, but not anything really bad. They had their own store, but it had been in a fire the week before, so it wasn't open, but probably is now. They come by your site a few times a day and pick up your trash for ya via golf carts, just leave it in the bag next to your site marker, and they'd get it np. The site we got had full hookups, including cable and maybe even telephone. The site was spacious it seemed, and included a picnic table and fire ring. And YES, they allow pets. There are a few jeep trails there, but you have to pay by the day, or for the season. It was a lot like the outter banks, but seemed like too many rules in MD, that I wasn't very pleased with it. In OBX, you can take your TV right out on the beach and tailgate right on the beach! But Frontiertown wasn't so bad, even in the off season, and plenty of stores right close by as well........

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails......[/glow]
Old 02-28-2004, 05:43 PM   #3
ccc6588

At the tip of the Chesapeake Eastern Shore are several nice CG. Cherrystone is one of the best in the Mid Atlantic (www.cherrystoneva.com) with fishing and fun for the whole family. Just 10 miles south of Cherrystone is Virginia's newest state park - Kiptopeke State Park. Kiptopeke has full hook up sites. There is a huge fishing pier, boat access and beach access. The beach is on both left and right of the pier. The north beach is ideal for kids it is gentle and shallow. In front of the pier you see World War II concrete ships. These were ships that were made of concrete that were sunken. It is a strange site and considered a premier fishing spot. Another 5 miles south at the very tip of the Eastern Shore is the Best Western Sunset Beach Hotel that has a RV campground. I haven't been there, but I talked to them. It sounds fantastic.

There is also one of the premier golf course in VA designed by Arnold Palmer. The rates are very reasonable for such a nice course. Right next to it, they are building a course designed by Jack Nicholas. The area offers great fishing and great for bird watching (one of the premier areas for bird watching). The area is still very quiet in the souther tip of the Eastern Shore due to the 8th wonder of the world- a 17.5 mile long bridge. To cross it and back will cost you 14$ per day, but well worth it to see this marvel.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:22 PM   #4
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

We have stayed at Frontier Campground just outside of Ocean City Maryland. Really nice campground. Call ahead if you want to get a place.

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 09:37 PM   #5
toeb

Frontiertown has a sister campground; it's called Fort Whaley and it's west of Frontier Town on Rt. 50. It isn't as big, but not as busy. Somewhat quieter, and seemingly has abit more room for the RVs. Pets allowed! (We have 2 toy rat terriers). It also shares the same website. I just bought a TM 3326 this winter at a show and will be picking it up in VA Beach the 28th of May. After our introduction session, we'll be heading out to Fort Whaley for the Memorial Day Weekend. I am so excited!! Planning on checking out and playing with everything on this TM. (maybe get some fishing in?) Hopefully, I'll take some pixs and repost when I get back.