TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
Canoe719

Default Shelving, blinds and TV stands

I made some shelves on either side of the wardrobe with tracking and brackets. They are adjustable so you can raise or lower them. We also put one on the side of the over the sink cabinet. We usually place a small oscillating fan on that one. My wife uses the other shelves for spices and other kitchen things.... The TV stand(s) are just shower rods (suspension type) that I drilled a hole in and inserted a small "s" hook in which to hang the TV. I easily attached some picture wire to the back of the TV and removed the stand and hung it. Works very well without taking up any counter space. I put one end of the rod on the ledge along the wall and the other edge is on the ceiling. We now have a bedroom TV and one in the dining area. … Also put mini blinds in right over the curtains. I used brackets similar to the cabinet brackets. The blinds come down and store on the bed during travel. The curtains remain in the open position always and privacy is achieved by using the blinds. See photos. An easy fix.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bedroom tv.JPG
Views:	674
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	4548

Name:	Wardrobe shelves.JPG
Views:	674
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	4549

Name:	Utensil rack.JPG
Views:	645
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	4550
Old 05-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
mbd4kids

Very nice!! I may try some of these ideas myself!
mbd4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Joseph

Looks very good. Thank you for the tips!
Old 05-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I had thought of trying something similar with the shelving myself, but seeing it done definitely gives me more motivation!

Nice work. I definitely like the idea of using the tension rod for the TV -- elegant solution, and something I may just have to use myself...

Thanks!
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:24 AM   #5
Canoe719

Unhappy Blinds

Somehow the image never made it to my original post. Can't seem to make it work.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #6
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Used your basic idea on the "kitchen" side of the wardrobe, modifying things a bit to make a deeper shelf for the microwave (pics posted elsewhere). So Thank You very much for the idea

I was going to use your idea for the TV, when I stumbled onto something else entirely: folding shelves that are "over-the-door". They fit perfectly on the bathroom wall, and with two shelf heights I plan to watch TV with the set on the lower shelf (upper shelf folded) and then either move it to the upper or put it away when going to sleep, and leaving the upper shelf available for a clock or whatever else.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shelves.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	4685  
Old 06-19-2010, 05:12 AM   #7
Canoe719

Smile Like the folding shelf

Your idea looks very cool. For us however that folding shelf would interfere with our sleeping arrangement. We sleep with our heads behind the bathroom wall because we built a portable ramp for our dog to be able to come onto the bed. This way when she jumps up she lands on the foot of the bed. If we turned around she would be jumping on our chests. Hence, my husband would sit up in bed and hit the shelf. You did however provide a new thought for our microwave. We are rethinking making a deeper shelf as you did.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:41 AM   #8
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Makes sense. For our dog, we found a nice ottoman (can't recall who's suggestion that was) that he uses to get up onto the bed. Otherwise we sleep in the "usual" arrangement.

I think there's enough of a lip on the shelves I got that they might be able to hang off the wardrobe; I'll check for others who sleep the same way you do.

The deeper shelf works great, just takes a little work with a hack saw to cut the shelf and horizontal bar down to size.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
P and B

We got rid of our curtains this year. They faded-turning an odd pink color. My wife found bug nests behind in the folds and that was the end of that! The valences faded too. What we did was purchase some inexpensive matchstick type shades and cut them to fit the window span. We took all the the hardware off the window, filled and then painted the million holes from all the screws they put in. We used keyhole hangers which fit very flat on the wall above the window and then just use a mated screw on the shade. We store the shades in a bag and it only takes a couple minutes to take them down.

A couple of lessons learned:
1. There are a lot of holes that have to be filled so you need pretty good matching paint. We found a good match in a small quantity sampler container from ace hardware. It's a glossy latex. We used an almond colored latex caulk to fill the holes and tried to flatten the metal out the best we could.
2. the shades we bought let more light in than the curtains did so we'll probably end up lining the ones in the sleeping area.
3. The really long windows on the side are impossible to find shades that will cover the molding on the window completely. I think 48" was the longest width we found and it leaves about 3/8" of the white molding visible. You don't notice it unless your looking right at it.

Would I do it again? Yep. I think the removeable shade idea is much better for this kind of trailer.

Phil
Old 06-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
RogerR

do you have any pictures of the installed shades, during installation and how they mount on the wall for quick removal?