TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #11
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcua View Post
My RX330 has a towing package and the harness is located behind the driver's side taillight. You need to remove the plastic bins to gain access to the harness.
Just exactly what did you get as the towing package?

To me a factory towing package includes the hitch receiver on the rear with a 7 pin Bargman connector already fully wired.

To add a brake controller requires two mounting screws and about 3 feet of cable with plugs on each end. One plug for the controller and the other for the connector under the dash that is also part of the towing package.

It took me about 15 minutes to install a brake controller in my 1500HD with a factory towing package. I did have to install the 30 amp fuse for the charge wire.

You really did not have a tow package. False advertising, it seems to me.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #12
alexcua

Default Towing Package

A towing package on a mid size SUV is usually larger radiators, alternators and the transmission cooler and the wiring harness for the 4 way connector. Since the hitch is not preinstalled, the harness stops short at the trunk.

As for my RX330, I can get a 4 way harness from Lexus that just plugs in to the existing socket but it does not have a brake control. So this makes it tricky.

For truck based SUVs, you get all the parts and only need the brake controller.

New trucks now even have the brake controller as STD.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #13
larsdennert

I ran #8 wire from the battery for the charge circuit as I already had it back there supplying an inverter. Overkill but the trailer stays charged. With a trailer 4 pin only the controller lead is missing to the rear. I didn't bother with the reverse as I can't see anyway. A good ground lead for the controller is important.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #14
PopBeavers

Quote:
A towing package on a mid size SUV is usually larger radiators, alternators and the transmission cooler and the wiring harness for the 4 way connector. Since the hitch is not preinstalled, the harness stops short at the trunk.

As for my RX330, I can get a 4 way harness from Lexus that just plugs in to the existing socket but it does not have a brake control. So this makes it tricky.

For truck based SUVs, you get all the parts and only need the brake controller.

New trucks now even have the brake controller as STD.
They must be assuming no one would ever tow a camping trailer. A camping trailer, as opposed to a utility trailer, that weighs over 1500 pounds in CA is required to have brakes. Of course, they could be surge brakes. Utility traielrs don't require brakes unless they weigh more than 3000 pounds.

We bought an RX350 this past January. I nenver thought about a towing package. I could perhaps tow the atv trailer (2000 pounds). The RX350 gets slightly better mileage (22) than my Dakota (17). I don't think I could tow my TM, 4200 pounds.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:01 AM   #15
alexcua

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
We bought an RX350 this past January. I nenver thought about a towing package. I could perhaps tow the atv trailer (2000 pounds). The RX350 gets slightly better mileage (22) than my Dakota (17). I don't think I could tow my TM, 4200 pounds.
Why is your TM 4200 pounds? The RX350 can go 3500 pounds with the towing package and dealers usually put that in because it is just a $150.00 upgrade. On my trip from Florida to Georgia, I was averaging 15mpg @ 65mph. It was uphill most of the time as Atlanta is 1000 above sea level. 16mpg should be expected on flat terrains.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:02 AM   #16
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Why is your TM 4200 pounds?
Our opinions are always colored by our own experiences. In my own case, I once found a full sized Ford van to be well short of what it should have been as a tow vehicle, but that was 15 years ago and it would have performed better with a TrailManor.

More to the point, different people use these trailers differently. If camping means regularly climbing mountain passes out west with 40gal of water (320 pounds) and a generator along with several hundred more pounds for a heavy hobby, they use more tow vehicle capacity than those who don't haul all that stuff and mostly stay at altitudes under 5000 feet in camp grounds with hookups. Their weekends weigh a lot more than my weekends.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #17
PopBeavers

Quote:
Why is your TM 4200 pounds?
Because of the amount of stuff that I take. I weighed it once. It weighed 3380 on the axle. I am guessing on the tongue weight. I have no doubt that I am over 3500.

I leave home with 49 gallons of water (40+6+3) for about 400 pounds. Six outdoor chairs, two outdoor tables, two green fake grass mats, free standing awning with walls, generator, outdoor stove, reclining lounge chair for outside, small bbq, fire pit, plus the normal stuff, dishes, food, cold beverages.

It adds up real fast. The average TM owner, it seems to me, carries an average of about 1000 pounds beyond the base weight of the TM, except for the few people that intentionally travel light.

I carry 5 bicycles in the back of the TV, and 5 adults in the TV.

Recently we added two motorcycles and two ATVs. So now I take a second truck to tow the ATV trailer and carry one of the motorcycles. If we take the ATVs and dirt bikes then we do not take the mountain bikes.

I can not park a toy hauler in my garage, thus the TM. The ATV trailer and the ATVs are in the side yard. My motorcycle is also my daily driver to work. My son's motorcycles is dirt only and he stores that at his house.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #18
alexcua

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I leave home with 49 gallons of water (40+6+3) for about 400 pounds. Six outdoor chairs, two outdoor tables, two green fake grass mats, free standing awning with walls, generator, outdoor stove, reclining lounge chair for outside, small bbq, fire pit, plus the normal stuff, dishes, food, cold beverages.

I carry 5 bicycles in the back of the TV, and 5 adults in the TV.

Recently we added two motorcycles and two ATVs. So now I take a second truck to tow the ATV trailer and carry one of the motorcycles. If we take the ATVs and dirt bikes then we do not take the mountain bikes.
Man! When I grow up I want to be just like you!!!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:59 PM   #19
PopBeavers

Quote:
Man! When I grow up I want to be just like you!!!
With both kids out of college I can now afford to spend some of my money on myself. If I wait much longer I will be too old to ride ATVs and motorcycles. I already crashed the motorcycle once.

We might be adding either a pair of kayaks or a canoe. I guess I'm going to need some racks on one of the trucks next.