TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
Mountain Man

Default Can You Add A/C Later

How difficult is it to add an A/C that is not installed as a factory option? I can fit a TM with the low profile A/C under my garage door, but I have a steel support beam for the house halfway back in my garage that is lower than the door. I measured the clearance from the floor to the beam and it is 79 7/8 inches. In the brochure, it says a 2720 with a low profile A/C would be 79 3/4 inches, which leaves me 1/8 inch of clearance. If it is that close, I know I could deflate the tires a bit and get them under the beam, and reinflate them on the other side. My other option would be to order the TM without A/C, get some more trailer specific measurements, and think about adding an A/C later. Are there any after market A/C's that might have an even lower profile than the factory option A/C? Would I have any wiring problems? Any input on this would be welcome. What I don't want to do is buy a TM and find out afterward that it won't fit in MY garage.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I would think wiring would be a minor obstacle. A bigger problem is going to be trying to find someone experienced in cutting a hole in your roof without making a mess, and then ensuring a proper fit and seal between the AC unit and the hole. The factory does it a few times every day, so they have lots of practice.

Another option would be to grind out a fraction of an inch out of your concrete floor about where the beam is. You'd just have to seal it up probably after you are done. Deflating/Inflating the tires constantly would be a major PITA IMHO if you go out on a regular basis.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Another thought --- I believe new TM's now come with the "lift kit" pre-installed with welds. If you don't need the extra height, you could also have the lift kit removed, or order the TM without it, to give you a few extra inches. That alone should do the trick if your clearance obstruction is a fraction of an inch.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
I can fit a TM with the low profile A/C under my garage door, but I have a steel support beam for the house halfway back in my garage that is lower than the door. I measured the clearance from the floor to the beam and it is 79 7/8 inches. In the brochure, it says a 2720 with a low profile A/C would be 79 3/4 inches, which leaves me 1/8 inch of clearance. If it is that close, I know I could deflate the tires a bit and get them under the beam, and reinflate them on the other side. My other option would be to order the TM without A/C, get some more trailer specific measurements, and think about adding an A/C later.
I have the same problem with my garage. If your driveway is flat enough, you can pull it in tongue first with a $60 trailer dolly from Harbour Freight. Or you could put a powered winch on the rear wall and pull it in that way. If it is possible, I suggest measuring what you intend to buy to make sure it fits your garage.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
Mountain Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcassel View Post
I have the same problem with my garage. If your driveway is flat enough, you can pull it in tongue first with a $60 trailer dolly from Harbour Freight. Or you could put a powered winch on the rear wall and pull it in that way. If it is possible, I suggest measuring what you intend to buy to make sure it fits your garage.
I am looking to buy the 2720SD. With the swing hitch, I have plenty of length in my garage. My only concern is the clearance with the beam. It will easily clear without the A/C. A power winch might work. Since the A/C sits on the back, I would not have a problem if I went in tongue first, but my driveway does have a slight upward incline. Then I would just have to figure out how to back it out of the garage without it rolling out into the street. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Is this any help?

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6620

As you will read, my TM is almost exactly 80 inches tall, and I have 15 inch tires and the factory lift kit.

Retrofitting a roof-mounted airco could be a major hassle in my opinion. The wiring MAY be in place as a part of the standard build. The cut-and-fit-and-seal MAY be managable if you find an experienced reputable installer. But you will probably need to change out the torsion bars on the front shell to compensate for the added weight. All things considered, I would want the factory, or one of the larger TM dealers, to do the job. I don't suppose you live in the southeast?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Mountain Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Is this any help?

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6620

As you will read, my TM is almost exactly 80 inches tall, and I have 15 inch tires and the factory lift kit.

Retrofitting a roof-mounted airco could be a major hassle in my opinion. The wiring MAY be in place as a part of the standard build. The cut-and-fit-and-seal MAY be managable if you find an experienced reputable installer. But you will probably need to change out the torsion bars on the front shell to compensate for the added weight. All things considered, I would want the factory, or one of the larger TM dealers, to do the job. I don't suppose you live in the southeast?

Bill
I live in the midwest, Kansas City area. I think I can forget that idea, and either get the TM without A/C, or deflate the tires when I take it in and out if I end up not having enough clearance. Thanks for all the input.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:46 AM   #8
arniland

Default Can You Add A/C Later?

One more comment in addition to those of the other's. Prior to purchasing our new TM early this year we visited the factory and took the tour. I remember a lot of substantial framing going into the roof to support the A/C. In addition, they build a box which sets the A/C several inches above the roof. Greg, the lead tech who showed us around, took a lot of time explaining how well this area was sealed.

All other factors aside, I believe that you would have to carefully think through how a retrofit A/C would be supported to avoid any flex of the roof structure, as well as how to adequately seal it.

Best of luck in your search,

Arn

Arnold in Maryland
TVs - 2003 GMC Yukon XL 6L
TM - 2007 2720SL
arniland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:40 AM   #9
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
I can fit a TM with the low profile A/C under my garage door, but I have a steel support beam for the house halfway back in my garage that is lower than the door. I measured the clearance from the floor to the beam and it is 79 7/8 inches. In the brochure, it says a 2720 with a low profile A/C would be 79 3/4 inches, which leaves me 1/8 inch of clearance.
My house has the steel beam problem also. The garage is finished with wallboard. The other half of the first level was an unfinished basement. When I finished the basement, I installed the wood framing to be even with the bottom of the beam so that the wallboard ceiling would be as high as possible. When I was measuring the garage prior to getting the TM, I investigated the framing around the beam in the garage, and it is below the beam, not even with the beam. Before learning how easy it is to push the TM around and deciding to put the TM in the garage tongue-first, I contemplated re-doing the garage ceiling's framing to raise it to be even with the beam.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:14 PM   #10
MACTLC

Default I had AC added to a 2002 2720

If you add AC later you will have to change the torsion bars and it will have to be done by a TM dealer since TM will not sell the parts to a non dealer. It can be done after the fact but it was alot of trouble, I would just get one with it already installed if I were you.

Mike
MACTLC is offline   Reply With Quote