TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
Bluegrass

Default Route to Sedona

Need advice on a route from Flagstaff to Sedona in a few weeks. (Actually, I'll be starting from Lake Havasu City.) 89A seems to have a series of switchbacks and I understand it is length restricted. Is this an OK route for me and my TM or should I go down I-17 and come back north on 179?

Keith
Old 02-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
Beak12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
Need advice on a route from Flagstaff to Sedona in a few weeks. (Actually, I'll be starting from Lake Havasu City.) 89A seems to have a series of switchbacks and I understand it is length restricted. Is this an OK route for me and my TM or should I go down I-17 and come back north on 179?

Keith
Keith, It's a beautiful trip. It will be too bad if your length will prevent you from taking it.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Looks like a really nice route. I found this link: http://www.mountaindirectory.com/wes...na/ARIZONA.doc

which says the length is over 50 feet don't know how correct that is.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:35 AM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Found this interesting document about a section of 89A. We were planning at camping at Pine Flat.

http://www.azdot.gov/Highways/SWProj...eek_canyon.pdf

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I was in Sedona with my Tundra and 3124KB this past Xmas holiday. Arrived on Dec. 17 and left Dec. 29th. I arrived Flagstaff on I-40 from Texas and you take a short portion of I-17 to 89A, Sedona exit. From there its signed, no access for 50ft and longer. The road is relative straight for about 10 miles, then drops 2 thousand ft in the next 10 miles. There is a section about 1/2 into the 2nd 10 miles that is very steep and very curved. There was ice and snow in Flagstaff and in this severe switchback area there was some black ice in shaded areas. Beautiful views, picturesque scenery, rated as one of the best roads in America. I had no trouble navigating the road, but there are at least 2 turns that are very, very tight hairpins. I used the trailer brake controller to near its max setting so as to not overload my Tundra brakes. I was carrying my heavy crusier motorcycle in the truck bed as well as the TM was loaded with 2 weeks of gear. You should not have any issues getting to Sedona on 89A. When I departed Sedona, 10 days later, I chose 179 and then 17 back to Flagstaff because going up 89a is quite the elevation change as mentioned and I felt I did not want to over tax the transmission since I was so far from home and still had several more days to travel. In the file that scrubJaysnest offered, page 6 and page 23 are good examples of the switchbacks and as we motorcycle enthusiants say... twisties. see the photos attached.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
househunterlives

Default Great pics

Those are some great pictures.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Bluegrass, Are you planing to camp in Sedona? There are not that many options. Rancho Sedona is the only park in the city limits which we utilized for our entire stay. There are SP's but you will certainly have to research to determine conveniences that appeal or not appeal to your particular style of set-up. I can offer a number of things to do in the area that you may not see on your own. Slide Rocks SP, Red Rock Country SP, Tuzigot Indian Ruins, Montezuma's Castle, Ghost town of Jerome is a must see area, and Old Cottonwood is also a neat place to venture. We took our motorcycle and made daily outings in all directions and were almost speechless with the visual wonder of the area.

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 02-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
Bluegrass

Thanks to all. 89A looks manageable.

@recycleguy - Yes, we plan on staying at Rancho Sedona RV Park. I don't have reservations yet but that's the plan. We'll be coming from a bluegrass festival at Lake Havasu in early March. The Sedona trip will be dependent on the weather, though. If the weather there is half way decent, we'll go. If it looks like a lot of rain or snow, we'll head to Phoenix for Spring Training.

Keith
Old 02-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

ok. I would recommend making reservations for Rancho Sedona as early as possible. You can always cancel later. The sites fill up fast and there are specific sites that are reserved for families with or without children. Some of the best sites are the ones that back up to Oak Creek that runs adjacent to the campground. We came in without a reservation and had to move twice due to spaces that were reserved for dates that covered our stay. Meaning that when I arrived, I said I wanted 5 nights, then I extended the stay 3 more nights and had to move, then extended two more and had to move again. I was able to relocate without closing down the TM which helped a lot. Friendly staff, close to Upper Sedona, and Tlaquepaque shopping district. The weather in Flagstaff (7k ft.) is not indicative of weather in Sedona (4k ft) due to the elevation change. We had snow, ice and overcast in Flagstaff and dry and clear/sunny with temps in the 50's in Sedona. Try to take in the State Fish Hatchery. Excellent self guided tour area.

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 02-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
moaboy

All this talk about beautiful Sedona sure is tough on a guy stuck in PA...
That is a fun city and gorgeous country.