TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-11-2011, 10:29 PM   #11
Scott O

Several suggestions on this thread suggest the OP call the factory. From reading other threads I am under the impression that the factory doesn't currently exist, at least for the near future. Any other suggestions?... I agree that U Haul might be the best current option, or wait and see if TM comes out of this alive!
Old 11-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
rooksroost

Default Bike Carrier

JW SWIFT,
Whats your local?
Know of a receiver for sale in TX and one in TN w/2 bike fold down rack.
Let me know

Rooksroost
Old 11-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #13
JWSwift

Default Bike carriers

I am in South Florida, specifically the Fort Lauderdale area. My interest was in getting an actual TM receiver for my camper, not necessarily a third-party generic or customized cobbled-together solution (i.e. U-Haul) that probably wouldn't work as well as the one designed for the camper by the factory. For one thing, I wasn't sure if it was something that even COULD be added-on after-the-fact, or if (perhaps because of the design) it actually had to be welded onto the frame at the factory in the first place. And if such a part or kit existed that you COULD order from the factory (when and if they start taking orders again--or if it were available from some other source somehow), just how difficult of an installation it might be.

If I can get ahold of an actual TM receiver for my 2007 2720SL, and the installation turns out to be a relatively simple bolt-on (or similar) kind of job, I'll go ahead and pursue it. But, if not, I'll make-do some other way.

Thanks again, everyone, for the suggestions.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #14
TREXHUNTERS
Site Sponsor

Sorry, I didn't realize the factory was down or that there was a transfer of ownership.
If they do re-open and provide the receiver you should have no problem doing it yourself. Otherwise, you will have to have someone fabricate one. (like an outfit that builds small trailers, etc.) There are no off the shelf solutions. At least I couldn't find one.

bruce

2008 3124KB,1kw Honda gen.
2021 Toyota Tundra DC, 4WD
TREXHUNTERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #15
trailbiker

Default Alternative to Bike Racks

I don't have a lot of experience with mounting bike racks to trailers, but i do own a bike shop. I have lot of experience with installing racks on cars and trucks. Some of the more responsible manufacturers have advised me to make sure the the tongue weight of the hitch is high enough for the bikes you are loading. If it is mounted to the rear bumper it might not support a lot of weight. In some case the racks extend 3 or 4 feet out. In other words the rack acts like a lever to increase the weight at the receiver. If you are putting multiple bikes on your rack with extra gear on your bikes you might have over 200 lbs extending out and putting way more force than 200 lbs at the bumper. I would want to know what the max tongue weight would be when mounted to the TM. FYI some folks might find this system use for carrying bikes and other thing in the bed of your tow vehicle. I use this product and really like it.
2 Kayaks, 2 electric bikes
trailbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #16
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailbiker View Post
FYI some folks might find this system use for carrying bikes and other thing in the bed of your tow vehicle. I use this product and really like it.
I wish I had one of those when I use to shuttle mountain bike racers back up to the top.

My son used to carry two bikes on the back of his Subaru WRX wagon. It had the small hitch receiver. Class III I think. He had to use an adapter to up-sized to the bike rack.

He carried three mountain bikes once instead of his normal two. The hitch failed.

If you choose to carry anything behind the TM, I recommend using a chain or security cable to secure the equipment. It serves two purposes:

1. when stopped for dinner the equipment is secured from casual theft.

2. if the hitch fails you won't drop the load behind you where you can not see that it fell off.

Saying all that, I believe the original poster was interested in a cargo rack, not a bike rack.

A cargo rack, it seems to me, is a bit safer than a bike rack because there is more of a lever action involved with a bike rack.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #17
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailbiker View Post
Some of the more responsible manufacturers have advised me to make sure the the tongue weight of the hitch is high enough for the bikes you are loading. If it is mounted to the rear bumper it might not support a lot of weight.
I think that an important point in the post above might otherwise be missed. Maybe this is already obvious to everyone, but a rear hitch can be either bumper-mounted or frame-mounted.

Pre-2004 or so, the TM's rear bumper was a big square steel tube, and a relatively generic bumper-mounted hitch could be clamped onto this tube with simple U-bolts, as long as the load weight was relatively small. Later TMs have a hitch that is less handy for this purpose, and a TM-specific hitch may be needed if a bumper-mounted hitch is desired.

By contrast, a generic (not TM-specific) frame-mounted hitch from U-Haul, Hidden Hitch, etc should be easier to find, since they have an adjustable bolt-on mounting arrangement designed to fit most any vehicle with a pair of accessible frame rails.

A bumper-mounted hitch is limited by the strength of the bumper, which may not be very strong in the up-and-down direction. A hitch that bolts onto the frame should be stronger. On the other hand, a frame-mounted hitch may hang down closer to the pavement, which may cause it to drag. I've seen generic bolt-on frame-mounted hitches under some minivans that appear to have only 2 inches of road clearance, before loading!

I am by no means a hitch expert. Many folks here will know more than I do, and I welcome comments and corrections.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #18
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
On the other hand, a frame-mounted hitch may hang down closer to the pavement, which may cause it to drag.

Bill
I can confirm this.

On several occasions I have scraped the factory welded receiver on the ground. This resulted in lifting the rear of the TM up into the air a little, which prevented the rocks I was towing over from doing any damage.

All things nominal, when the TM tires are both on the ground and the rear receiver is dragging on the ground then the plumbing will not impact the ground.

I consider this to be a feature.

For this application, it seems to me that a welded hitch receiver is better than a bolt on.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #19
jellis

Default An Alternative to Consider

My wife and I used the TM receiver and a couple of different bike racks for a while, but found this system to be more trouble than it was worth, at least in our case, for several reasons. First, your bikes are exposed outside on the end of the TM and subject to damage from cars parking behind you, various road hazards, etc. Secondly, you have to remove the bikes AND the rack EVERY time you set up the TM, even if only on an overnight stop.

We eventually decided to purchase a couple of Dihon folding bikes with carrying bags from CW and now just put them inside the TM last thing before leaving. The bikes are built well and are almost as good as having our regular sized bikes along. Additionally, our good bikes are no longer getting road rash from weather and the inevitable interference friction points when mounted on the racks.

Obviously, serious bikers will want their premium bikes for long or demanding rides, but for those who just ride for fun and exercise, the folding bikes have proven more than adequate. Plus, we no longer have to worry about what's happening to expensive bikes at the far end of the TM which is out of sight for hours at a time.

It's just another option...good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #20
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

To carry our bikes in the bed of the TV, we opted for a DIY bike rack made from pvc pipe obtained from Lowes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BikeRack (Custom).JPG
Views:	59
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	6723  

Tags
2720sl, bike carrier, pvc, receiver