TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: If you run the refrig on 12VDC while you drive, does it deplete your TM battery?
Yes, my TM battery is down when I stop driving. 8 18.60%
No, my TM battery is fine when I stop driving. 35 81.40%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Default Tundra answer continued

The temperature dropped to the mid 80's and I was able to do some checking. The shop that installed my brake controller installed a #14 wire from the battery to the bargman connector. In the process he cut and spliced the existing #10, factory installed, power to the connector. This was connected directly to the battery, which gave no isolation between the TV and TM. They were always connected together.

I removed the installed wire and reconnected the original wire. I now have the original factory wiring. Looks like I have 12+ volts at the connector only when the igition switch is on. I also have the factory installed #10 wire, fused at 30 amps, to the bargman connector.

Just goes to show you, if you want the job done right, do it yourself.

Connecting the smaller wire to the larger wire is like connecting a smaller pipe to a larger one. No matter how much you try you can only get the current capability from the smaller of the two wires... Or the water carrying capability of the smaller pipes.

Have fun,
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
northwest campers

Talking

I learned the hard way. I discovered that if the refer and fan is on TM battery, and plugged into your tow vehicle, (not running) after 3-4 hrs. the battery to the vehicle will be dead. It seems to suck the life out of the TM battery and then your vehicle's battery.
To be on the safe side, when stopped for any length of time, I unplug the vehicle electrical connector to the TM.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwest campers View Post
I learned the hard way. I discovered that if the refer and fan is on TM battery, and plugged into your tow vehicle, (not running) after 3-4 hrs. the battery to the vehicle will be dead. It seems to suck the life out of the TM battery and then your vehicle's battery.
To be on the safe side, when stopped for any length of time, I unplug the vehicle electrical connector to the TM.
In the long run, you'll be happier if you install an isolator. Try to avoid the diode kind, and get the kind that uses a relay. Or if you are at all handy, buy a relay from WalMart, Autozone, etc, and install it yourself. T'ain't at all hard - the hardest part is finding a connection point for 12-volts-only-when-the-ignition-is-on, which switches the relay.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote