TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-08-2021, 04:13 PM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default TM screen doors - our 8th year?

As many of you know, I have been making a screen door for Trail Manors for a number of years. Each year I have closed the workshop when interest dies in the fall, and re-opened in the spring. In order to re-open the workshop in this unusual year, I need to estimate the degree of serious interest that will exist. In other words, will there be enough orders to justify the start-up cost? I don’t have a flashy web site, so I try to determine it using a two step process.

1. If you have at least casual interest, send an email to [email protected] with the word INFO in the subject. I will immediately return a description of the door, with a short video, and a description of the kit’s build process. This first step answers most of the questions, and avoids any future misunderstanding about what the door looks like and how it works.

2. Once you have received and read the information - or if you received the information last fall after the workshop closed - you need to decide if you have serious interest in ordering a kit when I build them. I’m not asking for a firm purchase commitment, but I would like to know that you have more than casual interest. In other words, “If I build it, will they come?” If you find that you have serious interest, please send an email to me at the same address and tell me so. I will add your name to the list.

At present, I anticipate that deliveries would happen in mid-to-late May, after my wife and I fire up the TM, leave Arizona, and make the long drive for our summer in Maine.

By the way, there is several years worth of information and discussion about the screen door right here in the EXTERIOR forum of the Trail Manor Owners Forum. If you are new to this, remember that you can sign up for a free 30-day trial membership on the Forum. Once there, a simple search on “screen door” will turn up more than you wanted to know. And of course I would welcome any questions about the door, at any time.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:44 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Default Screen doors? Maybe not

So far, I'm disappointed in the response to this post. It was copied to the Facebook Fans group in hopes of reaching a wider audience, but I've gotten only 6 responses - four expressing curiosity, but only two indicating serious interest. That is not enough for me to reopen the workshop. Unless the situation changes soon, there will be no more screen doors. Sorry folks.

Bill
Old 03-23-2021, 02:55 PM   #3
Jampcourt

Default Love mine

Just wanted to toot a horn for Bill. I put one together last spring, and it was an easy job if you have the simple tools required. My wife and I enjoyed having it last summer for the few trips we took to the mountains. It really opens up the trailer having another "window" the size of the upper door opening, and helps with ventilation and the need to open as many windows.

Would highly recommend getting one if you have a TM with the older rectangular top half to your door. Correct me if I'm wrong Bill, but I don't believe according to your past posts that you have figured out a way to build one for the new door configuration.

Cheers to all, and happy camping!
2014 Ford Explorer with tow package, Tekonsha brake controller, Reese WDH, Renogy 100 W portable solar suitcase, modified for 7 pin plug. (Our battery is up front, under sofa). Modified to fill hot water heater and fresh water tank with unit closed.
Jampcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:36 PM   #4
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

Hi Bill, I installed your screen door last spring. It was an easy job, you just have to take your time. Measure twice and cut once. Due to Covid19 cancelled our vacation trip last year but are definitely going this year to enjoy our new screen door. Also overhauled our Electra magic at the same time. New top which was cracked and seeping, a slide seal assembly and new foam bottom seal. Slide seal was starting to bypass so after 9 years it was time for the overhaul. It was a lot cheaper to buy the few parts than to buy a new toilet.

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:42 PM   #5
rmpearson

Man that sucks Bill, but it is what it is. I wish you the best and if you ever re-open I will get a door off you .

Ross
Old 04-11-2021, 05:48 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Somewhat to my surprise, it looks like this will be a banner camping year. I'm pleased to say that after a slow start, enough Serious Interest responses came in - more than in any previous year - for me to go ahead and build quite a number of kits.

At this point, I have shipped kits to almost all of the folks on the Serious Interest Reserved list. Ross, were you one of them? I now have a very few kits remaining for uncommitted folks. If you would like one, now would be a good time to let me know.

As many of you know, each spring my wife and I (and our pup!) hitch up our TM and head for Maine. The trip is long and leisurely, and of course the screen door workshop is closed during that time. As a result, when these remaining kits are gone, there will be no more until mid-June or early July at best. The idea of a Serious Interest Reserved list has worked out well, so at that timeI will be looking for folks who are willing to express Serious Interest.

Bill