TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-23-2021, 08:38 AM   #1
pacific92040jfors

Default Leaking Window

New to forum
Just got a pristine condition 2006. 2720
or thought so when we got it home we noticed bubbling on the wall paper on one side , peeled it up and the wood was rotten around one portion of a lower window I believe I need to take that window out and put new sealing tape around and then I was going reseal all windows and some how repair the wood , any tips or tricks wood be helpful
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pacific92040jfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:51 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Which window? Removing one of the sidewall windows is not a hard job, or particularly time-consuming. I have done it, though not because of leaks. You simply remove all the screws (lots of 'em!) on the inside, then pop off the inside frame, then go outside and gently cut the caulk all around until you can remove the body of the window from the outside. Clean up the caulk well, then clean up the original mounting tape, and reverse the process. As you remove each screw, it is a good idea to drop it in a pill bottle or a canning jar or something with a screw top. If you lose one, as I did, you'll be unhappy.

Two hints. First, when you get the inside ring off, you will find a printed paper label with a hundred or so letters and numbers on it. Grab your camera, take a picture of this label, and stash it away. Hehr supplies windows to almost the entire RV industry, and they have an incredible number of windows sizes and configurations. You cannot identify any particular window by scanning through their catalog. (I tried, failed.) But if you ever need to buy a new window from Hehr, this one label will enable Hehr to look up the entire window configuration for your particular TM.

Second, before you remove the inside frame and the window, put a piece of masking tape on each, labelled "TOP". I found it surprisingly easy to put one of them back on, upside down, and wonder why it wasn't fitting quite right.

As for the wood you mention. Are you talking about the interior panel board in the kitchen area? I think it is just glued to the inner skin. If so, I believe it can be just stripped off and replaced with another panel - or the now-exposed wall beneath can simply be painted. Other members have done so - perhaps they will chime in.

I don't recall that there is wood between the inner and outer skin at the side window locations. If there is actually wood in the wall, I'm not sure about replacing it because I don't know where it is, or how it is fastened between the walls. It would have to be inset away from the window opening, and glued in place, because there are no screws through the skin, inner or outer. I recall that the windows are called "clamp-in", because the inside and outside pieces clamp to each other, but are not screwed through holes in the skin or into wood inside the wall. I may be wrong - it's been a while.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:12 AM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Wow, really great tips, Bill. I don't have a need to do this now, but am going to file this away in case I do!

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:10 PM   #4
pacific92040jfors

Thanks for your advice
I will give it a try
Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pacific92040jfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:13 PM   #5
Onyrlef

Just finished removing that panel due to a leak. I'll post the how to's soon as I get a chance. Btw, it's 1/8th luan glued and secured with battens to the aluminum inner shell wall, not a big deal. And yes the windows are clamp.ons, the aluminum trim secured with square recess (#2 Roberstsons) is what holds them in place).
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:15 PM   #6
Onyrlef

Default Removing luan panel

First thing is to remove curtains and the curtain strip top and bottom ( note their positions, you'll be reinstalling these) then aluminum strip all the way around the inside of the window, then remove the chrome caps on the pins that support the upper shell on the lift struts, just pry them off by working the small pry bar around the cap a little at a time. Tap the pins back flush but be careful not to knock them through ( the shell is resting on these pins) Next remove the caulk between the seal on the shell and the luan ( this is the vertical seal on the wall above the refer), being careful not to cut into the seal ( ask me how I know this?) then remove the narrow crown staples behind the caulk attaching the seal to the luan. Next remove the screws from the pvc molding at the bottom of the upper shell and pull the pad out and set aside. Using a phillips remove the male snaps that secure the pad to the wall for traveling and save. Remove the batten along the top of the luan just below the crown molding and the vertical batten at the end of the luan at the front sleeping area. These battens are exclusive to the RV and Manufactured homes industry so be careful prying them off, they're stapled, so use two pry bars if you can. If you're going to replace the luan and then wallpaper over it you can re-wrap these battens to match. Now pop the luan off using a larger pry bar. Try not to rip it up, you can use it as a pattern for the new piece.
Removing the luan panel on the curb side would go somewhat the same, only there is no seal to deal with.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:13 PM   #7
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Just so you know, the only time I had water leaking through the windows, it was actually leaking from the roof vents. The water would follow inside the roof, then drain down the side and soak the luan or leak through the window. I believe it was also leaking through the antenna mount.

I found I could not properly seal the vents and antenna mount by caulking over the screws. Instead, I had to remove the screws and vents, replace the caulk between the vent and roof, then squirt caulk into each screw hole before replacing the screws.

Every vent that I have done this way has not leaked. Every vent that was sealed by going over top screws and seams leaked.

And every vent leaked to the luan board or windows.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is online now   Reply With Quote