TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2020, 01:57 PM   #1
prodesign

Default Question on the brake wire plug length

On the newer 2720 models, does anybody have a rough idea how much extra length there is in the brake wire length? Meaning how far it would extend past the ball hitch end if pulled forward. My jeep did not come with a seven pin connector (Just the 4 pin) and I had to have one installed. It is a direct plug and play connection and is close to the tail light underneath... so wondering if there is enough length in the stock wire from the trailer to go the distance!
prodesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:22 PM   #2
TnP-2027

I mounted my 7-wire connector here in the picture - about mid-way between my receiver and where the tail light would be - no problems!

Does that help?

2009 2720...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8238.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	19513  
TnP-2027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:17 PM   #3
prodesign

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnP-2027 View Post
I mounted my 7-wire connector here in the picture - about mid-way between my receiver and where the tail light would be - no problems!

Does that help?

2009 2720...
perfect!

thx!
prodesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:34 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnP-2027 View Post
I'm kind of surprised that that arrangement works. When you make a sharp left turn, a loop of the cable would tend to drop down and drag on the pavement unless you route the cable to the right of the jackstem as it crosses the A-frame. Is your cable is long enough to pass to the right of the jackstem, but still reach the connector over on the left? I'm not sure mine is, though I admit I haven't measured it.

Then, when you make a sharp right turn, the cable must be long enough to still reach the connector on the tow vehicle, even as that connector moves forward as the car turns.

I'll have to go out and take a look at mine. To be safe, the cable needs to reach the connector, without stretching, all the way from jack-knife left to jack-knife right. I would want to confirm it before mounting the connector.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #5
TnP-2027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I'm kind of surprised that that arrangement works. When you make a sharp left turn, a loop of the cable would tend to drop down and drag on the pavement unless you route the cable to the right of the jackstem as it crosses the A-frame. Is your cable is long enough to pass to the right of the jackstem, but still reach the connector over on the left? I'm not sure mine is, though I admit I haven't measured it.

Then, when you make a sharp right turn, the cable must be long enough to still reach the connector on the tow vehicle, even as that connector moves forward as the car turns.

I'll have to go out and take a look at mine. To be safe, the cable needs to reach the connector, without stretching, all the way from jack-knife left to jack-knife right. I would want to confirm it before mounting the connector.

Bill
Bill, I should have taken more pictures!
I do not run the trailer wiring cable to the right (passenger side in the US) of the front jack. I run the wiring cable in one of the loops of my safety cable. this keeps the wiring off the ground. Does that make sense?

I just dropped the camper back at storage last night - would have been the perfect time to get a picture of this arrangement making L and R turns.
TnP-2027 is offline   Reply With Quote