TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #1
madizzy8

Default no running lights, no brake light etc. etc

We really need advice here. First off, had trouble with one brake light. Fixed that. Went camping but alas same brake light stopped working but everything else seemed fine. Had some trouble with our elec. tongue jack. My husband bought a new plug, rewired it. Now it works. Somewhere in that time, something happened. We do not know what. Now we have no running lights, no left rear light at all, brake or tail or backup. And the 2 very front interior lights won't work. It addition the TV while checking with volt meter shows most of the points are not working. We have no clue what to do next. Checked the fuses in the TV. All fine. So where to now. The repair shop? To sum it up, not running lights, no left brake, tail or backup, and tv shows only negative, positive and electric brakes working. So all we have is a right brake light on TM. Help?
Old 08-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #2
RogerR

Default faulty ground?

If the lack of power to the trailer is complete the most likely culprit is a bad ground between the car and the trailer. I had a similar problem with the tongue jack.

If you have one of those little meters about $10 at harbor freight then go to your car plug and make sure you are getting power. Use the ground in the plug.

If all good trace the ground to the trailer frame. Take off the bolt or screw and clean it us to make sure of a good connection. If still no go you could have a bad connection between the trailer plug and the trailer ground point.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #3
madizzy8

Default no lights

Thanks Roger, but the plug of our tv is not giving us power, We used a volt meter and the only readings we got were positive, negative. We also get a reading for the elec. brakes but nothing else.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:05 PM   #4
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Have you checked to make sure you didn't blow a fuse on your TV? Some trucks have a separate fuse for the tow connection. The next thing I would check is when fixing the TM plug, did you disturb any other area or wires?
I too lost my running lights a while back and when I went looking at the last area I went tinker in, I found a splice which had come loose behind the fridge area. Must have happened when I added my short extension cable for the fridge. Back track into the areas and check to see if something didn't come loose or disconnected.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #5
shebantam

We are getting ready to leave in the weeeee hours in the morning.
We have everything but tail light. 4 way flashers work so I am considering running with them until day light.
we have turn signals, brake lights, and running lights. I cleaned the plug out. Still no tail lights...
any ideas what it could be? A fuse? Mine is in the front of the trailer.

Another weird thing, well at least to me. I had no running lights until I unplugged the shore power. I had turn signals and brake lights.
we are heading to South Florida.
2006 Aliner Cabin A3
1999 Sunnybrook 26FK with WDH with sway
all pulled by a 1999 F150
shebantam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #6
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

The running lights aren't connected to the converter. They shouldn't have anything to do with shore power. Roger's suggestion of checking ground continuity is good.
BrucePerens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #7
shebantam

Thanks, I thought that was weird. I will have it checked out Monday. We had added an extra day so I could set up and not be totally exhausted.tomorrow is our hard day, going from New Castle DE to Santee SC (they have trailer parking at the HoJo), then we have a room booked in Ormand Beach on I 95, again trailer parking.
the truck is packed for our 2 month trip. The TM has its regular stuff.
On Monday we will find a camper dealer between Ormand and Okeechobee. Hubby said he would pay (all right maybe they can see why the porch light comes on when it feels like it).
2006 Aliner Cabin A3
1999 Sunnybrook 26FK with WDH with sway
all pulled by a 1999 F150
shebantam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
commodor47
Site Sponsor

+2 for ground continuity check. And I would also check for ground continuity on your TV.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:29 PM   #9
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Running lights and no tail lights? They're on the same circuit. Same pin on the Bargman connector. If the bulbs are OK there's a bad connection somewhere.
BrucePerens is offline   Reply With Quote