TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-25-2015, 05:33 PM   #51
stormpeakco

Default always room to save some dough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
I have had 4 WDH's since starting to tow campers. The first 2 were welded heads and every time you changed a TV or camper you needed a new head welded. I used a stand alone sway controller. The next was a 1,200 LB reese with and an adjustable head the integrated sway controller. I was so impressed when I first saw an adjustable head. Now I have the basic reese 600 lbs with a stand alone sway controller.

Operational wise, I did not feel or see any difference in handling these WDH's other than if the sway controller was built in or not. Never had a sway issue with the integrated or standalone sway controllers. I liked the round bar the best for hooking up and there was less noise. But I went to a 600 lb trunion bar for greater ground clearance with the TM, which sat low without the lift kit installed. Now with the lift kit, I may have gone with the round bar.

This last time around, I went with the lower price reese, because I have not seen the value of the higher price WDH's.
Hey, thank you for your insight. There is always room to save some bucks when a comparably efficient system is available. Dave
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #52
Terryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by funpilot View Post
Sorry, I may have been wrong in my observation. My tongue weight is about 620 pounds. I called SwayPro and they told me that I may have the wrong size bars (1000 pounds is what I got) and they are going to send me the 750 bars. They think the 1000 may be too stiff to do what is needed.
your post got me thinking. When I bought my TM it had a Curt 1000 lb bars. I called Curt and talked to a rep. there, he advised me to keep the 1000 lb .bars as they recommend heavier bars than may be needed and said the heavier bars will do just fine.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #53
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Suspect the actual transfer depends on how tight you make the bars. The 1k lbs is more of an upper limit.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:36 PM   #54
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryl View Post
your post got me thinking. When I bought my TM it had a Curt 1000 lb bars. I called Curt and talked to a rep. there, he advised me to keep the 1000 lb .bars as they recommend heavier bars than may be needed and said the heavier bars will do just fine.
I had read many years ago that having the wrong bars was not a good thing. I believe it was that if you had to strong of bars you will get a very strong secondary bounce from the bars, and to weak you will off load the front axle too much on bumps.

When I was looking at a WDH for the TM. I called resee and they recommended getting bars that were in line with the tongue weight. I went for a new WDH.

I did a quick search and found something at etrailer: "Selecting a Weight-Distribution System
The tongue weight rating is the most important factor in determining which size weight-distribution system you should use. If the bars of the system you choose are rated too high for your setup, they will create a rigid ride, which can result in a bouncing trailer. If, on the other hand, the bars are not rated high enough, the system will be unable to properly distribute the weight, rendering it virtually useless.

To determine the proper weight rating for a weight-distribution system, you must first determine your trailer's tongue weight. Then add to that the weight of the cargo behind the rear axle of your tow vehicle. These two measurements make up the tongue weight rating for a weight-distribution system."

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...s/PS49903.html
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:28 PM   #55
stormpeakco

Default Pro Series RB3 #750-query round bars vs. trunnions differences

Quote:
I had read many years ago that having the wrong bars was not a good thing. I believe it was that if you had to strong of bars you will get a very strong secondary bounce from the bars, and to weak you will off load the front axle too much on bumps.

When I was looking at a WDH for the TM. I called resee and they recommended getting bars that were in line with the tongue weight. I went for a new WDH.

I did a quick search and found something at etrailer: "Selecting a Weight-Distribution System
The tongue weight rating is the most important factor in determining which size weight-distribution system you should use. If the bars of the system you choose are rated too high for your setup, they will create a rigid ride, which can result in a bouncing trailer. If, on the other hand, the bars are not rated high enough, the system will be unable to properly distribute the weight, rendering it virtually useless.

To determine the proper weight rating for a weight-distribution system, you must first determine your trailer's tongue weight. Then add to that the weight of the cargo behind the rear axle of your tow vehicle. These two measurements make up the tongue weight rating for a weight-distribution system."

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...s/PS49903.html
Folks, looking @ a Pro Series RB3 (Cequent), 750# max tongue weight rating (GTW 10K#). The included shank provides a rise of up to 6.5" above the top of the receiver height (provides more top end wiggle room for height adjustment than some, since the 2-2.5" lift is being added).
$213 w/ shipping w/o 2" hitch ball (etrailer).

The owners manual for our TV recommends a WDH for a GTW over 3500#
& there are reports that round bars vs. trunnions (?more springy) may have some harsher towing qualities/characteristics?
Engineers/physicists have some input (or is this consideration so minor with a lower mass TM)? Dave

Old 03-05-2015, 06:17 AM   #56
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormpeakco View Post
snip........... there are reports that round bars vs. trunnions (?more springy) may have some harsher towing qualities/characteristics?
Engineers/physicists have some input (or is this consideration so minor with a lower mass TM)? Dave

We have an older Reese with 750# trunnion bars. We have used this on TT over 5000# and on our TM. The set up works well since the TM tongue weight is similar to the heavier TT.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:54 AM   #57
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormpeakco View Post
Folks, looking @ a Pro Series RB3 (Cequent), 750# max tongue weight rating (GTW 10K#). The included shank provides a rise of up to 6.5" above the top of the receiver height (provides more top end wiggle room for height adjustment than some, since the 2-2.5" lift is being added).
$213 w/ shipping w/o 2" hitch ball (etrailer).

The owners manual for our TV recommends a WDH for a GTW over 3500#
& there are reports that round bars vs. trunnions (?more springy) may have some harsher towing qualities/characteristics?

Which TM do yo have? what is the tongue weight. If it's in the 500 and less? You have not bought it yet? I would look at of the Pro Series 600 lb WDH, maybe even the 550, if the TM is below 400. The closer match the better ride. I do like it a little extra above the tongue weight, but not that much.

The 750 number is for the spring bars and how much they spring.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:22 AM   #58
dr carver
Site Sponsor

Quote:
I do like it a little extra above the tongue weight, but not that much.
Don't forget to add in anything that is in your tow vehicle behind the rear axle line. Such things as luggage, extra water, batteries, mother-in-law, etc that are back there have to be added to the camper tongue weight to arrive at the correct spring bar rating.
TV - 2011 Ford Expedition w/towing package

dr carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #59
Padgett
TrailManor Master

or just pick 600-750 lbs as a good ballpark.

BTW this all is "good enough for government work" for a coil spring suspension but what about leaf springs where the rear shackle may be a foot behind the axle ? Could be interesting.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #60
stormpeakco

Quote:
Which TM do yo have? what is the tongue weight. If it's in the 500 and less? You have not bought it yet? I would look at of the Pro Series 600 lb WDH, maybe even the 550, if the TM is below 400. The closer match the better ride. I do like it a little extra above the tongue weight, but not that much.

The 750 number is for the spring bars and how much they spring.
Thanks. '15 2720QB....empty tongue weight 346# plus two Honda 2000s in front of the rear TV axle, water and light stuff in the folded down 3rd row seat of the Durango, likely going to purchase the RB3 750/10,000 and the TST 507 with two non-flow through sensors (tire pressure monitor).

To me (after reading much, from the generous contributors to this forum) the sweet spot for the 2720QB plus accouterments may be the 750# series. Dave