TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-14-2002, 11:36 AM   #41

Default Re: Weight Distributing Hitch

Hi everyone,

Ok we got our TM a month ago and just went on a long interstate trip.  We do not have WDH or sway (by instruction of the dealer).  We have the 2720 and drive a grand cherokee with a v8.  The trailer producted heavy sway any speed over 70.  I had a coleman nigara and did not have a sway but it drove at 80 if needed.  I meet another TM person at the camp ground and they did have a WDH or sway and said that they drove over 86.  So what is the best for sway.  The controller or WDH?  I need something and my dealer said I don't need anything (stopped by on my way home).  

Help please

Tripdreamer
Old 10-14-2002, 12:42 PM   #42
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

As someone pointed out in an earlier post, the function of sway control is really to mask a problem. That's not to say it isn't good, but you should correct the problem. What is the problem? Sounds to me like you are improperly loaded.
There are three components to proper loading.

1. How is the TM loaded? The hitch weight of the TM should be about 12%-15% of the total weight of the TM. That means the hitch weight should be somewhere around 400-500 pounds, and that's quite a bit. If you have loaded too much weight in the rear of the TM in an attempt (purposeful or not) to lighten the weight on the hitch, the trailer will sway. No doubt about it. So confirming that your tongue weight is right is your first move.

2. Beyond that, I don't think a Cherokee can handle 400-500 pounds on the bumper (or equivalent location) very well. This much weight on the bumper appreciably UNloads the front wheels, which also causes loss of control. So I think a WDH is your second move.

3. How is the Cherokee itself loaded? There should be relatively little cargo weight aft of the rear axle. I have been through the experience of loading several hundred pounds of stuff in the way-back of our Explorer, behind the rear axle. Major sway! To the maximum extent possible, load all of the Cherokee's cargo forward of the rear axle.

A Coleman Niagara is lighter than a TM, and has a much smaller tongue weight. What worked for the Niagara will not necessarily work here. But with proper loading, and a WDH, I think nearly everyone on this board will agree that you should NOT experience sway, and you should NOT require a sway control device.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 12:47 PM   #43
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Tripdreamer;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          We have a 2002 3326King pulled by a Dodge Durango which was ordered with a trailer towing package and the 5.9 V8. On our 1994 3326 King and this new trailer, I use a WDH and a sway control bar. My hitch is a draw tite which I bought at a good price a U Haul. Without the sway control, I would get a little nervous when I was passing a truck or a big truck flew by me. Now I can relax when I see an 18 wheeler in my side view mirror. Play it safe and spend the $135.00 for your own piece of mind and the safety of your loved ones!!! If you have any questions, let me know. A happy TM owner.                                                                                                                                                                                           Bob Strong    
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote