TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #31
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

That is what I was saying, They say it is going to be a separate part again, but Thetford say they have no planes to do that. I saw the article on page 42 and that is what prompted me to try to order one again.
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #32
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimartin58 View Post
Or is there a big reason not to use bleach that I'm overlooking?

Thanks

RIM
Never use bleach in a holding tank. Urine has Ammonia in it. Ammonia and bleach make a deadly gas that you don't want inside your camper....
Old 08-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #33
rimartin58
Site Sponsor

Default First trip without the toilet skirt

As per requests, I'm reporting on my first trip since I flushed the vinyl skirt out the drain hose.

Don't know if it was already dislodged when I bought my TM, but I can report that, now that the skirt is gone, I'm not having any trouble with solids hanging up at the end of the bowl. As I look at it, there's not much clearance between the end of the bowl and the screen -- I can see how any problem with the skirt could inhibit how the thing drains.

Odor wasn't a problem. Bought the Thetford tank chemical with formaldehide in it this time (not really on purpose, but I read in MotorHome that the formaldehyde products work over a wider range of temperatures than do the enzymatic mixtures) and it worked well. As long as I remembered to keep the lid down, I didn't notice any odor -- even with the lid up the smell wasn't bad.

Finally, when I went to dump the toilet's tank I got a loud, satisfying "whoosh" which I wasn't getting before. Tells me I'm getting good flow and drainage out of the toilet's tank.

I'll let y'all know if anything unusual develops, but for now I don't see a need to replace the skirt.

RIM
rimartin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #34
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

This is good to know about the vinyl skirt, as we too have had problems with the flow of solids. I'm also interested to hear of your experiences of driving a good distance (50-100 miles) with a full toilet and no skirt, so please do report back as your "testing" continues.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #35
PopBeavers

As I recall, someone around here has reported using cling wrap across the top of the toilet bowl to reduce the risk of sloshing while towing with the toilet full. You might give that some consideration if it will be a long tow. I have towed over 100 miles with the toilet full, but I don't have a missing skirt.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #36
2bcs1jrt

I was under the impression that the function of the vinyl skirt is to make sure solids end up on the inside of the screened basket. I am not certain that it could stop splash with travel...maybe.
I saw evidence of slosh (more of a dribble) running down the side of the bowl after travel when we first got our very used TM so I tried the saran wrap over the bowl method but, as it turns out, it was actually leaking from where the top edge of the bowl and the seat assembly meet. A new seal between those two items stopped all that and also stopped odor from sneaking out as long as the lid is closed.
Have not used saran wrap since.

Lovely subject, huh?

Cheri
Old 08-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #37
rimartin58
Site Sponsor

Default Function of the screen

Sorry to get back so late. Last commenter said --

"I was under the impression that the function of the vinyl skirt is to make sure solids end up on the inside of the screened basket."

Now THAT'S something to think about, because you would start seeing ground up solids and maybe pieces of toilet paper in your recirc. water. Haven't noticed that, and when I eyeball down the length of the chute, all I see is basket with the top not visible.

I'll keep an eye out for that.

RIM
rimartin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #38
JOEALAN

Default Should you leave tiolet full all the time?

I was wondering does anyone keep there toilet always charge and ready to go even when in storage. Leaving tiolet empty, will seal(s) dry out?
Old 08-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #39
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Re: keeping the toilet charged or empty and how it affects the seals:

http://trailmanorowners.com/forum/sh...t=toilet+seals
Old 08-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #40
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEALAN View Post
I was wondering does anyone keep there toilet always charge and ready to go even when in storage. Leaving tiolet empty, will seal(s) dry out?
I recharge ours when I get home from 1 camping trip, so it is ready to go on the next. I charge it just enough to get the pump working, and us a little RV-TEC 100 ( an enyzme) in with the water, hopefully to further digest any solids left in the bottom. Then immediately before the next trip, I add a small bottle of Campa-Chem Natural to help with odors. RV-TEC 100 also has a pleasant smell, but probably not enough like a true odor masker.

Of course, all bets are off once winter gets here.

Chap