TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #31
kokilo

Default When quiet isn't an option...masking noise

We are on a 3000 mile 6 day trip so the locations we are staying in are usually beside the highway and sometimes close to the train tracks. One night we stayed in a park near a heavy manufacturing plant that ran 24 hours a day.

We use a program running on our laptop which allows us to play various sounds through the TM's CD/radio using the auxiliary input. Our favorite is a mixture of "brown" noise, recorded rainfall and the noise heard in a passenger jet cabin. We turn up the level until the worst outside noise is drowned out.

The program is called Soundmasker and has saved us quite a few sleepless nights. It has a lot of options so you can block the particular irritant and even record other sounds and play them back. I have a recording of torrential rain on the TM's roof which would block out anything.

Peter and Martha
Old 09-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #32
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokilo View Post
I have a recording of torrential rain on the TM's roof which would block out anything.

Peter and Martha
We spent a night in Yosemite in mid October one year, it started pouring at 12 AM just when we were wanting to go to sleep, and as tired as I was, it took me until about 3 AM to finally go to sleep and I only slept a few hours. I don't know how that would be a help to sleeping! That's why we carry earplugs.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #33
kokilo

The recording of rain on the TM roof will block out anything but not let you sleep. A nice subdued brown noise with some rain sound at just enough volume to mask the trucks is what we use to sleep beside a busy road. We don't like earplugs.

Peter and Martha
Old 09-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #34
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

If it works for you, that's great! Unfortnately, we live in an area where there is almost total quiet all the time, and any little noise wakes us up. When it's quiet all the time, it's great, but it makes us really sensitive to noise. It's almost a curse to live somewhere where it's this quiet because when you travel, it's hardly ever that quiet and you're not used to it.