TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #31
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
There was an earlier discussion about winching a TM into the garage, including the forces involved. The thread wandered off the original topic, and onto winching, at about post number 8, so don't stop reading too early.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6407

Bill
Great thread, thanks! Seems like I have some of the same issues, but I'd be going in nose-first, not backing in. Sounds like a winch would work, and my assessment that something less than 3500# is correct as well...I don't know the rise of my driveway, but I'd think 2000# should be sufficient?

This forum is SO helpful!

Marc
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #32
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
Secondary question: Can anyone with a 2720 tell me the actual box length, not including the hitch part? If I nose the trailer in, the hitch can (I assume) sit over the 8 inch step at the rear of the garage. However, there is a small corner of wall slightly over 18 feet from the door, which could potentially be the limiting factor for length.

Considering the given tow length is 20' 2", and the swing-away hitch reduces that length by almost 2', that means that the "folded" length of ~18' 2" includes the hitch frame area, so I'm assuming the actual box length is smaller (hopefully smaller than 18' !), but if someone could confirm, that'd be great

Marc
Any takers?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-19-2008, 07:54 PM   #33
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default measurements from 2720SL w/o swing away tongue

My TM is in the garage with the tongue touching the back wall. From the wall to the tongue jack wheel measures 11 inches. There are 51 inches from the wall to the bottom of the front shell. From that point to the back edge of the rear bumper is less than 16 feet.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:55 PM   #34
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Actual box length, from the rearmost part of the box (the stoneguard over the rear window) to the forwardmost part of the box (again, the stoneguard) is 193 inches. In front of that, with the folding hitch swung away, there is another 22 inches of frame, propane tanks, etc.

193 inches is a tad over 16 feet.
193 inches + 22 inches = 215 inches = 17.9 feet.
Do we have a winner?

Hope this helps. BTW, my 2720SL should be no different from a straight 2720.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:31 AM   #35
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcassel View Post
My TM is in the garage with the tongue touching the back wall. From the wall to the tongue jack wheel measures 11 inches. There are 51 inches from the wall to the bottom of the front shell. From that point to the back edge of the rear bumper is less than 16 feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Actual box length, from the rearmost part of the box (the stoneguard over the rear window) to the forwardmost part of the box (again, the stoneguard) is 193 inches. In front of that, with the folding hitch swung away, there is another 22 inches of frame, propane tanks, etc.

193 inches is a tad over 16 feet.
193 inches + 22 inches = 215 inches = 17.9 feet.
Do we have a winner?

Hope this helps. BTW, my 2720SL should be no different from a straight 2720.

Bill
Oh, yes, we have a winner!!

My thanks to both of you for the detailed information. All of you on this thread and board have helped "seal the deal" for us. All that's left are the minor details (track, wheel dollies, winch).

rtcassel: how do you get your TM into the garage? A winch, a dolly, a simple push?

Marc
Old 11-20-2008, 08:20 AM   #36
rumbleweed

Default Wheel Dolly

If you are considering a manual wheel dolly check out the link below. This is a reasonably well made dolly with 600lb capacity at a great price. If the area you are moving the TM in is fairly level, this works well. I have used one on my 2720SL and my previous TT.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=37510
Old 11-20-2008, 08:45 AM   #37
ragmopp

If the area you are moving the TM in is fairly level, this works well

But..if you have gravel (like I do) it won't work...For me I back the TM in the garage, where the cement is, and then use that thing to maneuver the TM to where I want it.... And Bob is right, it works fine ... on cement or asphalt.

Mike Anderson
Old 11-20-2008, 10:43 AM   #38
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I need the TM to go up my driveway, and there's a bit of a slope there, so I doubt I could push it manually. A winch is relatively inexpensive, though, and I can mount it into the floor of the garage and just guide the TM into place, at least most of the way, with a little push at the end, maybe.

The wheel dollies I was thinking about were to "slide" the TM sideways, while still on the driveway. There's a bit of a curve in front of the portion of the garage (single car bay) where I plan to park it, so I need to pull it up on the main portion, slide it to the side to line up with the single bay, and then winch it in all the way.

Sounds very feasible, just will be a bit of work the first time to get it all set up properly.

Marc
Old 11-20-2008, 10:57 AM   #39
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
If you are considering a manual wheel dolly check out the link below. This is a reasonably well made dolly with 600lb capacity at a great price. If the area you are moving the TM in is fairly level, this works well. I have used one on my 2720SL and my previous TT.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=37510
The missus got 1 of those dollies for me last Christmas....per my request. The 1st time I used it, 1 of the wheels bent......and that was on pavement. I called Harbor Freight, and they agreed to send me another wheel, but they were on back order from China, so I didn't get that puppy for several months. I replaced the bent wheel, and sold the dolly at a yard sale.

rumbleweed, I don't know what you are doing right and what I did wrong, but just want everyone to know about this potential problem. I do notice on their website that they sell extra wheels for the dolly now.

Chap
Old 11-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #40
Al-n-Sue

Default Wheel Dollies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
The wheel dollies I was thinking about were to "slide" the TM sideways, while still on the driveway.
Marc
Marc - just an observation on the wheel dollies - the company that does the truck work for the dealer here (hitches, brakes controllers, etc.) had a huge toy hauler in his workshop/garage - and I couldn't see how he got it there since there was no door on that part of the building. He said he backs it in the door and jacks the trialer and slides the dollies under the wheels and then the tongue jack. Then he just pushes the trailer (by hand!) sideways into the space.

Sounds like your solution with a winch and then pushing the trailer sideways into the garage bay is very workable.

Don't remember what year model you are looking at - but I discovered that mine (2003) with the full height A/C will not go into my garage. My driveway is slanted and the A/C sits too tall to go in the door with the angle of the drive factored in. If my driveway was flat it might go. If you're looking at a later model with the low profile A/C you should be ok.

Good luck and let us kwow how it all works out.
Alan