TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tips and Tricks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #21
ib4classics

McKesh mirrors half price, just listed today in the for sale section.

John
Old 09-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #22
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

All these suggestions are right on. My only comments would be to learn to use your mirrors as fast as you can. Throwing your arm over the seat and cranking your head around get old real fast. Campsites on the left side of the road are generally easier to back into than the right. Utilities are normally on that side of the site.
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #23
brulaz

You can find McKesh online with google. Think I just called and they shipped. Easy.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #24
Bigbit

For those looking for equivalents to the McKesh mirrors at a fraction of the price, do a web search for CIPA Model 11650 mirrors. Amazon has them for $45 per mirror. I'm very happy with my set.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:07 AM   #25
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Talking The "clear" rule for turning the steering wheel:

A rule like "- turn the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go" is kinda useless, I think. Both because because (A) because the wheel being SPUN, not bent - it goes different direction at the top and bottom; and because (B) the trailer itself is changing direction on it's axle- which in TM, is roughly halfway through the trailer body. If the rear of the trailer "goes to the left", the front of the trailer goes a bit to the "right".

So here's a better way to express the rule about how to turn the TV steering wheel:
Turn the BOTTOM of the steering wheel towards the direction which you think the REAR END of the trailer needs to "go more".

The other comments were perfect: yes, you need to anticipate and see changes in direction before they "get too far off", and its best to just only a small bit at a time; see the change in tendency, then adjust some more. But for making turning the steering wheel, this is the best way to remember the effect. Think about the bottom of the steering wheel, not the sides or top.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:31 AM   #26
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

We use the same rule as Rickst29, and it works better than anything else we have tried over the years. As I do the backing, my wife stands behind the trailer so she can see where it is going (and what it is about to hit!) She stands where she can see one of my side mirrors, which means I can see her. If I can't see her, I stop. She points in the direction that she wants the back of the trailer to go, and I respond. Pointing works well, since as Rickst mentioned, the terms "left" and "right" are ambiguous, at least to us. We have also learned that there is no point in yelling, because there are too many times when I can't hear her, and if she is yelling STOP! and I can't hear her - well, that is not good. On the other hand, a number of members here on the forum use walkie-talkies with good results, so it is a personal preference thing.

It isn't perfect, but I have been able to get into any spot we have tried - and I haven't hit anything!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #27
PopBeavers

You missed my adventure earlier this year.

I made a 12 point u-turn in the forest, avoiding a dozen trees, in the dark. My daughter held the flashlight at the back of the trailer. Her job was to shine the light on the ground near the street side rear corner and to yell STOP before I backed into a tree. At times I could only move forward or backwards 3 feet, but mostly I had 10 feet to work with. Sometimes 15.

But, I have 5 years of experience towing trailers, specifically the TM 2720.

It would have been easier if I had the 20 foot 1500HD crew cab instead of the 22 foot 2500HD crew cab long bed.

I wished we had shot a video of that one.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #28
Martin

Default "Cumon baby, let's start anew, backing up is hard to do

Thank you all for the great tips on backing the TM. My next stop is a big empty parking lot for some practice. I can see that one of the essential survival tips for trailering is to keep a good sense of humor. I'll try to remember that as a general rule.

Marty
Old 11-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #29
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
I can see that one of the essential survival tips for trailering is to keep a good sense of humor. I'll try to remember that as a general rule.

Marty
I always say that there are two things you absolutely need when camping: a credit card and your sense of humor. You've always got to look at the bright side of the things that happen to you along the road.

People used to tell me, when I first had a child and things got really frazzled, that if you were all alive at the end of the day, you were doing a good job. I think that you can say that about road trips with a trailer.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #30
Philip

Default My Wife Backs As I Direct

Both my wife and I find it very easy to back up if I am alongside the TM and I just tell my wife what direction and how much to turn the wheel. We take it slow. Doing this we rarely get the trailer too far out of whack which requires long travel with the wheel cut hard or pulling forward to correct the problem.

My wife has no stress and I have a perfect view of the trailer position and the spot I am heading for. Since we virtually never travel with one person this works like a dream. Fast and stress free.

Take care,

Phil

TM - 2008 2720, 15" Wheels, Two 4D Lifeline AGM Batteries, Linklite Battery Monitor, Self Adjusting Brakes.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote