TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #21
SneakyFrog

Rick,
Did you call the Immobilizer people? What did you end up with?
Old 05-21-2007, 04:56 PM   #22
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Wink The one I'm probably getting is: The "Heavy Duty" (but not via Rittenhouse)

Although I gave the URL for Rittenhouse in my previous post, and it's also sold by Northern Tool (and Amazon links to Northern Tool to "offer" the product), the actual manufacturer is here:
http://www.equipmentlock.com/hdwl_home.asp

Buying it direct give me th option of a couple extra keys for $10, which I DEFINITELY want to have. They also have a PDF of installation instructions, which I won't upload here because it's over 1 MB in size. Here's the link:
http://www.equipmentlock.com/pdfdown...installpdf.pdf

This shows some interesting characteristics. The lug nut protector plate isn't welded onto the square tubing-- instead, it contains a square hole, with a short segment of the slightly larger 2-1/2" square tubing to SLEEVE the 2" square tubing end on the tire side. Although this could be attacked with a grinder, no one would bother to do so:
The time needed to destroy the 4 welding segments which attach the sleeve to the lug nut protector plate is about the same as the time to attack the 45-degree angled weld on one of the corners of the main bar-- and the latter attack would render the device failed all by itself, without bothering to remove and replace the wheel afterwards.
So, the weak points are #1, the corners (unless they're reinforced before welding); and the actual bar itself-- which is 3/16" thick, not just 1/8" as on the others. Although I'm waiting for a call back from the "immobilizer" people, it looks to me like both the round tubing and the "lug-locker" plate-to-tubing connection are weaker than Equipmentlock's version.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #23
Goodyear Travels

Our 2720sl has the removeable pin on both sides of the swing hitch. I removed once to make a minor repair.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #24
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Thumbs up Immobilizer's "Grip" isn't compatible -- I ordered Equipmentlock's "Heavy Duty" model

the "inner" round bar, which goes through the wheel, actually goes THROUGH the wheel. And so, our hubs (with big drums and electric brakes mounted inside) are too large, blocking the "spoke" hole.

Only wheels without brakes are compatible with that one. They recommend the "Immobilizer", instead of the "Grip", for such an application. But as I said in an earlier post, this requires the wheel well cover to be removed each time I put it on or take it off. It might still have "fit" issues, and it's awfully large to carry around inside the TV.

So, equipmentlock just won my business. BTW, upon reconsideration, I realize that breaking just the weld between the lug nut plate and it's "outer sleeve" of square tubing accomplishes nothing-- because it's squeezed against the wheel when you put it on, the square tubing needs to be destroyed, not just detached. Just having it slightly loose doesn't create enough room to get at the lug nut, and because the hole is square, you can't rotate it it out of the way.

They ship it cheaply-- only $20, even to the West Coast. So the net cost less than 3x the shipped price of the Broke-like-a-Toothpick "TrailerKeeper".
Old 05-30-2007, 09:30 PM   #25
SneakyFrog

Rick,
I was wondering how the heavy duty wheel lock is working out. Do you still recommend it?
Old 05-31-2007, 12:26 AM   #26
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Wink I didn't get the order in

until the 23rd, and it's built to order (some companies want all their locks to match). Between build time, 5-7 day shipping, and the Memorial Day Weekend, I'm not concerned about the fact that it isn't here yet.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:49 AM   #27
Bob&Karen

Rick,

When you get it, please post your thoughts on it here. I've been looking at the same unit (per your previous post) for when we replace our TM (hopefully in a couple of weeks) and I want something to keep someone from driving off with it again!

Am still exploring the GPS tracking options but they are all rather expensive and most have associated monthly fees. And, it looks like a replacement TM is gonna cost me more per month because I don't have a trade-in and will have to finance more up-front.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 05-31-2007, 09:36 AM   #28
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Have you thought about putting it up on blocks in storage and taking the wheels home? Buying the next one with a swing tongue and two removable pins would seem the easiest solution. I think I would try a different storage lot as well. If it was an inside job (employee or another customer) they'll be back regardless of what you do.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:09 PM   #29
Bob&Karen

Yeah, we're seriously considering a different storage lot. Re: removing the wheels - that's just too much trouble, although it would be effective. We have considered the swing tongue, but I undrestand that the newer ones can only have one pin completely removed.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 06-06-2007, 09:57 PM   #30
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default New Thread....

I decided to create a new Thread for my impressions and first-usage experience, regarding the Equipment Lock Company's "Heavy Duty Wheel Lock".

I like it, although it has the same weakness of any other "welded together" locking mechanism built from multiple pieces of steel: the welds are a significant point of weakness for a DEDICATED attacker to go after with a modern high-speed grinding tool. Otherwise, quite impressive, WAY better than the "TrailerKeeper" toy, and way better than removing a wheel or two.