TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-04-2003, 01:58 PM   #21
efelker

Default Re:Gas Prices

Hey -- there wasn't TMs then because camping was in Conestoga Wagons.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:54 PM   #22
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Y'know, I'm showing my age here, but I actually remember gas at 19.9 cents per gallon, in the mid 50's when I was maybe 8 years old. I grew up in a small town in central Maine. There were three gas stations in town, and once a month, almost like clockwork, they would have a "gas war". They would make a round of price cuts, then another and another, until one of them hollered "Uncle!" It started at around 33 cents, usually stopped at about 24 cents - but once, when all three were feeling belligerent. it dipped just below 20 cents. Wow! I remember people coming in with 55-gallon drums in the back of pickup trucks.

And during the famous first "gas shortage", I remember people indignantly saying "I'll never pay 75 cents a gallon! I'll walk first!"

So why can I remember this, 50 years ago, but can't remember what I had for lunch today?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 05:21 PM   #23
grayghost

saw a cartoon the other day, guy pulls up to a gas pump and the prices are covered up with a sign that says, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it"
Old 09-04-2003, 06:32 PM   #24
Windbreaker

Bill, you, like a lot of us on thes board have been welcomed into old age. Some a few years older than I have said that memory is the second thing to go. They also can't remember the first.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:33 PM   #25
quacks

Speaking of the "goodies" you used to be able to get with a fill-up, does anyone remember getting kids' straw cowboy hats at Phillips 66 stations? It may have been a "Western" thing - I think my family got them in Montana on a vacation. Not in a TM - just the old family car, with Mom, Dad, & 5 or 6 kids!
Old 09-09-2003, 01:38 PM   #26
ColoradoCop

Filled my patrol car with medium grade yesterday, $1.899 per gallon here in Eastern Colorado. Wondering how to hook up a team of horses to the TM .

Should I put a "Straw Poll" on this subject :P

ColoradoCop 8)
Old 09-09-2003, 02:47 PM   #27
Moonshot

<soapbox>
I ride my bicycle to work several times a week. This might not work for everyone, but couldn't many of us walk and bike a little more rather than drive everywhere?
</soapbox>
Old 09-09-2003, 03:21 PM   #28
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

[quote author=ColoradoCop link=board=18;threadid=1238;start=msg9031#msg9031 date=1063136333]
Filled my patrol car with medium grade yesterday, $1.899 per gallon here in Eastern Colorado. Wondering how to hook up a team of horses to the TM .

Should I put a "Straw Poll" on this subject :P

ColoradoCop 8)
[/quote]

"Hay", I don't think a "straw" poll will work for horses. 8) You'd get zero miles per bale, per team!

Denny
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 03:24 PM   #29
Windbreaker

<soapbox>
Well someone started it so here my $0.02 worth.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for nature and what ever helps the old girl I'm for but in the name of nature some folks sure do some dumb things. Seasonal gas just about tops the list in this area. We would not be having high dollar gas at the end of every summer, and sometimes winter if some wackos had not demanded gas be formulated for each season. I'm sorry but gas does not know warm from cool. Gas does not freeze, at least not in the ranges of we humans can live. If the gas companies could produce one formulation for year round the price would stay mostly steady going up only as inflation and the middle east forced it to.

To end high prices, end the EPA!
</soapbox>
Old 09-09-2003, 03:51 PM   #30
Happytrails

I had heard the truck driver himself is the one that mixes in all the additives and such when he fills the truck up. Has anyone ever heard or know of any truth to this? I should ask my best friend, he's a truck driver, but keep forgetting, and don't know if he's ever driven a gas truck.

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]