TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #21
Scott O

It sez level side to side using the scissor jack on the rear of the low side. Doesn't mention the front jack on the low side. Strange!!! Personally, I do most of the side to side leveling with the Lynx blocks, and just fine tune with the scissor jacks. Many ways to accomplish a level trailer, but it seems to me this way lessens the chance of tweaking the frame by putting uneven pressure on it with the scissor jacks.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #22
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
It sez level side to side using the scissor jack on the rear of the low side. Doesn't mention the front jack on the low side. Strange!!! Personally, I do most of the side to side leveling with the Lynx blocks, and just fine tune with the scissor jacks. Many ways to accomplish a level trailer, but it seems to me this way lessens the chance of tweaking the frame by putting uneven pressure on it with the scissor jacks.
The front jack on the low side is one of the jacks mentioned in the next paragraph entitled SET UP.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #23
Unstable_Tripod

I just joined the Trailmanor family by buying one last month. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'm interested in this leveling question because I have been camping in a Coleman/Fleetwood pop-up and used a BAL Leveler to raise the low side. (As someone mentioned earlier, pop-up directions specifically say that you should NOT level the trailer with the stabilizer jacks.) If you are not familiar with a BAL Leveler you can see one here:

BAL Leveler

I usually camp in fairly undeveloped places (no hook-ups) and the sites are almost always significantly out of level. I'm hesitant to lift the whole trailer 4, 5, 6 or more inches on just the jacks even though the TM owner's manual does say to level that way. Do any of you use a BAL Leveler on your Trailmanor? Can anyone give me a reason why I should not use my BAL Leveler on my Trailmanor?

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #24
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

We have an '11 2720SL, the manual says you can level with the stabilizing jacks, the jacks on the other hand say don't use them to change a tire. Mine are rated at 500 pounds while some have ones rated at 2000 so there seems to be no definitive answer. There is a thread on this subject. I use leveling blocks with wood as need and fine tune with the stabilizers.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #25
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

I use a Bal-Leveler on one tire & the Tongue Jack to completely level the TM using my IPhone App with a trailer level which tells me where I need to level & how much then I lower the Stabilizer Jacks for support only.

When I first purchased the TM I tried my Dewalt drill out for the leveling & very quickly found it to be the wrong way to level using the 4 corners. I also burnt up a good drill thinking it was supposed to work. I still carry the drill but most of the time I find it easier to just crank the jacks down by hand.

The Bal-Leveler can be dificult to put in place some times due to the 15" tires barely fitting it. What I do in those case is

1. Lower the tongue jack allot.
2. Lower the rear Stabilizer jacks to ground.
3. Raise the Front Tongue Jack enough to place the Bal-Leveler. This usually doesn't take much because the Bal-Leveler usually is very close to fitting anyway
4. Level the front Tongue Jack first.
5. Level the Bal Leveler side to side.
6. Lower the Stabilizer Jacks on all four corners using plastic pads under the jacks. I don't usually lift more than I can with a a few cranks past touching ground normally just for fine tuning.

I know I am putting a little extra stress on tongue jack doing this but it works without me possibly getting hurt & when needed I will upgrade the tongue jack to a heavier duty one.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #26
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Default Leveling the TM

I use a simple method to level the TrailManor. With the TM still attached to the Truck, I level left to right with 2X12 boards under the wheels . Then I disconnect from the truck and level from front to back with the tongue jack. Next I crank the stabalizers down about 1 crank after ground contact.
This has always worked for me and I don't over stress the stabalizers.
Trying to level with the stabalizer jacks also stresses the TrailManor frame.
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #27
ThePair
TrailManor Master

The factory claims that you won't stress the frame with the corner jacks, but by the same token, they also suggested that using something under the wheels to do the leveling, as mentioned above, would be preferred.

Go figure.

There is no reason not to use a BAL device, go right ahead. I would, but I'm on weight restriction, and lynx blocks are significantly lighter
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #28

I use the bal leveler also and I love it. It makes leveling quick and easy. I used a hydraulic jack to spread the chocks out a little on my Bal to make it fit the 15" tires a little easier.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #29
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

There's an app for that RV Companion tells you to lay your Iphone flat with "this" end toward the front of the camper and it will tell you exactly what you need to do!

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #30
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoBear View Post
There's an app for that RV Companion tells you to lay your Iphone flat with "this" end toward the front of the camper and it will tell you exactly what you need to do!

Malinda

That is the same one I use & it has been GREAT!

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote