TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #21
VibrantClan

Default I recommend Frisco Woods Campground on the Outer Banks

I recommend Frisco Woods Campground on the Outer Banks on Hatteras Island in the town of Frisco. I stayed there with my girls and we loved the area in not a trailer park like a lot of the campgrounds in the outer Banks, but they still have the amenities that are nice in a campground like a pool, and laundry etc. We also liked that the beaches were not over crowded and the area is surrounded national parks (too rustic for us) very nice to see the beach not full of hotels etc. and there are tons of outdoor activities to do there on the sound or ocean.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #22
VibrantClan

Default with a little modification they could have both...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsrider View Post
I love that about our parks. It keeps the party atmosphere down, I think, which is a big plus to us. I realize that's not for everyone. I remember a couple of years ago we were camping at our local state park (Falls Lake - Holly Point) on Labor Day weekend. I remember standing outside just listening at how quiet it was on a Saturday evening of a major holiday with the campground full. The rangers don't tolerate very much noise.
This is a huge turn off for us, because not only are others locked out you are locked in. It seems like with a minimal investment of some combination locks on the gates that they can change the codes on would allow the best of both worlds. This is what many other states do. It would keep the trouble makers out, and allow the campers to come and go on their schedule not the campgrounds. We are in southern VA with relatives in different areas of NC that we would love to visit and stay at state park close by, but if we did we could forget staying for dinner with family for fear we would be locked out of the campground, not to mention the dangers involved it there was an emergency and you couldn't get out. My daughter has severe allergies and while I come prepared, a delay in getting her the care she might need in an emergency could be the difference in life or death.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #23
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

Deep creek campground is right outside of Bryson city. You can get full hookups on the creek. It's about 5 minutes to the deep creek entrance to the smokies. Bryson city is very nice. The smoky mountain railway station is there and has a nive train ride through the area. Saturday night is mountain music at the station. Great trout fishing and nice people
Old 04-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #24
jimair1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinOn View Post
A couple of comments from a SC homegrown.

The beaches of SC, especially around Myrtle Beach (both northward and southward of MB) are excellent as are the State Parks for RV’s. It’s a little bit of a ride from MB to just across the NC state line in a little town called Callabash, NC which has some of the best fried “popcorn shrimp”, oysters, and hushpuppies to be found anywhere.

A little further northward, about 2 hours from MB, is Wilmington, NC which is a historical port dating back to Revolutionary War days and has a great waterfront area for eating, etc. The beach there is not as good as is in MB.

Hilton Head doesn't have much beach that is publicly available and is also historical; it had a POW camp there for yankee soldiers. Today, however, it is beautifully green, overpriced and crowded (imo). DW and I routinely travel there to visit relatives but will most likely stay this year at Stoney Crest Plantation Campground in Bluffton, SC, which is close to HHead but on the land side of the bridge. I have not stayed at that campground before, but I hear good things (hoped to be true).
Link to Stoney Crest:

http://www.stoneycrestcampground.com/about/

Also, from Bluffton, it is both an easy trip northward to Beaufort, SC (note: not Beaufort, NC) which is also historical and has a beautiful port to visit, and southward to Savannah, GA, which is a must see place to visit – great historic restorations and riverwalk. St Patricks day, more or less, is a great time to visit if you don’t mind the crowds (but be careful where you park, especially at night).

If I were planning to go to Charleston, SC, on a day trip, I would try to ask one of the TM Trailblazers about their recent (I think) rally at James Island (near Charleston). Further away, but also a possible campsite location you might want to consider is at Santee State Park , SC. which is located somewhat conveniently off I95 a little south of Florence, SC.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head and obviously I am a fan of SC trips.
James Island is a very nice park and if you are there during the Christmas season, they have one of the nicest light shows that we have seen. It is open every night during Christmas. Very close to restaurants, shopping, etc. and only a short drive into Charleston.
jimair1548 is offline   Reply With Quote