TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #21
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

Default BAL Leveler Storage

I was able to stow the BAL Leveler in my 1998 Coleman pop-up in the door compartment and that was a great spot. When you needed it to set up camp, I just grabbed it from the compartment and put it around the low side tire.

When I got my 2011 2720SD, there was not a handy spot to stow the BAL Leveler unless I opened up the whole unit which in my opinion, should be done after the tires are level. So I had to store the BAL Leveler in my TV which used up more room than I wanted and was a source of grease stains.

Then I found a great spot to store the leveler. When the unit is closed, you can store the BAL Leveler in the same area the steps are stored. All you have to do is lift up the back part of the steps after they are stored away and it makes room for the entire BAL Leveler to be safely inserted above the support bars. I then use a bungie to make sure the unit doesn't vibrate back out during travel.

-Roger
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #22
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Dogs View Post
I was able to stow the BAL Leveler in my 1998 Coleman pop-up in the door compartment and that was a great spot. When you needed it to set up camp, I just grabbed it from the compartment and put it around the low side tire.

When I got my 2011 2720SD, there was not a handy spot to stow the BAL Leveler unless I opened up the whole unit which in my opinion, should be done after the tires are level. So I had to store the BAL Leveler in my TV which used up more room than I wanted and was a source of grease stains.

Then I found a great spot to store the leveler. When the unit is closed, you can store the BAL Leveler in the same area the steps are stored. All you have to do is lift up the back part of the steps after they are stored away and it makes room for the entire BAL Leveler to be safely inserted above the support bars. I then use a bungie to make sure the unit doesn't vibrate back out during travel.

-Roger
WOW I never thought of that GREAT Idea.

Im going to check & see if it will work that way on ours.

You have any pics of how it looks ?

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #23
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

When I get a moment, I'll take some pics. I can't believe how well it works on my unit.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #24
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Now I'm seriously considering getting one. The limiting factor was storage, and this sounds nifty. Anything to speed up my setup time and effort is welcomed at this point
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:51 PM   #25
Bigbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Dogs View Post
When I get a moment, I'll take some pics. I can't believe how well it works on my unit.
I'd love to see photos as I'm trying to envision if this would work on my Elkmont.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #26

We now store our leveler in the rear compartment of the TM. When we get to a site, we eyeball the front to back level and open up the TM. I then install the leveler on the low side and we use a level inside on top of the fridge cabinet to fine tune. Then we put down the jacks. This seems to work fine for us and takes very little time.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #27
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
We now store our leveler in the rear compartment of the TM. When we get to a site, we eyeball the front to back level and open up the TM. I then install the leveler on the low side and we use a level inside on top of the fridge cabinet to fine tune. Then we put down the jacks. This seems to work fine for us and takes very little time.
Same here but if this idea would work good for us it could change our setup & take down to be somewhat faster & more efficient. I am hoping some pics of this show up soon I am very interested in this idea.

It would actually be easier to get the Bal Leveler under the tire in some situations without the rear being up which puts more wait on rear.

If I wasn't doing so much with our Boat I could go out & experiment but Boat is priority now.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #28
PopBeavers

I keep the level in the driver's door.

I level side to side with planks and then fore/aft with the tongue jack while the TM is closed. I get it as close to level as my 6 inch level will allow.

After I open the TM, I set a frying pan with a little water in it on the stove. I use the corner jacks to level the TM so the water is in the center of the frying pan.

The fridge is within specification, the door works properly and the bed is not leaning.

fwiw, I chock my wheels so tight that it is not possible to kick them out. When leaving I have to pull the TM forward a bit with the TV to get the rear chocks out. Very tight wheel chocks contribute significantly to stability when walking in the TM.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #29
moaboy

Hey Pop, how do you know that your frying pan is perfectly flat on the bottom?

Just kidding.

I recently took your advice and made sure my chaulks were really tight.

Really helps.

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #30
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I am definitely getting a BAL upon returning home. Let's just say that, had I had one, the leveling job this trip would have been substantially easier. My fault, mind you, but it did solidify the value in my mind...and now that there's an easy place to store it, the decision seems obvious.

Yes, I ended up raising one side of the TM so high that the wheel was off the ground. Yes I put something under the wheel so it wasn't hanging in air. Yes, a BAL would have made it a no-brained. Yes, I felt like I had no brains.

Mistakes are for learning, right?
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote