TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #21
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I just finished waterproofing the cabinet bottom about 20 minutes ago. I outlined the area to be waterproofed with 1/4 round molding. Then I laid in a layer of 8oz fiberglass cloth, poured the F/G resin on it and brushed it in with a brush. The 1/4 round is used because F/G does not like to make right angle bends. It will just pull away from the surface as it hardens if you go more than a 45 degree bend. In areas where you can't make that bend, you just lay the glass cloth flat on one surface. Then cut another piece to lat flat on the other then fill the joint with resin.

After about an hour of dry time, I'll go out and trim of the excess cloth with a razor blade. By tomorrow morning that cabinet will be as waterproof as some bathtubs.

You'll notice that I left the outer edge flat so that water can just drain down the side of the camper. Just like the water drains down the roof on your camper.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:40 PM   #22
Wavery
TrailManor Master

It's a warm day so the F/G set up pretty fast. I went ahead and finished it up.

I installed framing that also act as air separators behind the AC unit. They are screwed into the frame members of the body with "L" brackets. Then I used metal braces that screwed into the new braces and into the back of the AC unit. This will keep it from bouncing on the shelf and damaging it. This also holds the AC firmly in place.

Then it was time to install the outer grilles.

I'll attach the air deflectors by pop-riveting a piano hinge to the grilles. When the AC is not in use, the air deflectors will cover the 2 outer (air intake) grilles.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #23
kutzweb

Nice job! I like the screen name too!?

Hope to see it in person soon!
Old 08-07-2008, 12:31 AM   #24
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

It looks good. I'm anxious to hear how it works on your first camping trip. We usually camp in the mountains, by the coast, or in the desert in the winter, so until recently we haven't really needed an a/c. I'd like to get one rigged up and ready to take with us should we want to go somewhere that we could use it.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #25
Wavery
TrailManor Master

We will be camping with the grandkids this weekend. It's not supposed to be that hot (high 80's) but it should give me an idea of how well the AC performs in moderate conditions. I'll keep you posted.

I left it on all day yesterday (by accident). When I went inside the camper at about 3:PM, it was like a meat locker inside. I had the thermo set at 68. I also had a small fan going on the aft bunk facing forward.

A fan to circulate the inside air is critical with this configuration. That AC could not be mounted in a worse place. The cold air bounces off of the bathroom wall and is immediately picked back up by the air intake in the AC. This causes the AC to think that it has reached it's set temp and it cycles off. If you use a fan to blow the cold air, coming out of the AC, across the camper then it gets a more realistic reading of the inside temp and it will be longer time periods between cycling.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:09 AM   #26
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Where did you put your fan? I have a clip-on fan that could be attached to the top of the bathroom wall, or even on the top of one of the drawers under the wardrobe.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:49 AM   #27
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
Where did you put your fan? I have a clip-on fan that could be attached to the top of the bathroom wall, or even on the top of one of the drawers under the wardrobe.
Thanks.... That's a great idea. I just put a small (12") box fan on the counter . My wife isn't real happy about that.

Looks like I'm in store for another trip to Walmart.

I guess the ideal thing would be to put one small fan up high, pointed one direction and another small fan down low, pointing the opposite direction. They wouldn't even have to be enough to feel the air move, just enough to keep the air circulating.

We are going to do "Camp-Driveway" with the grandkids, at my daughter's house in Anaheim this weekend. It's supposed to be in the low 90's so it should be a decent test run for the AC.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:43 AM   #28
Wavery
TrailManor Master

We completed our test run on the new AC unit. It worked great.

We made our trip to Walmart and picked up that 6" clip-on fan (good tip....thanks).

It was 92 outside and 72 inside, with no problem. I tried it first without the outside air deflectors. It was not nearly as efficient as with them.

The next day, I tried it with the air deflectors first and the camper cooled down right away and the AC cycled about every 5-10 minutes. I then removed the air deflectors and the AC cycled every 3-4 minutes. I put them back on and the AC again cycled every 5-10 minutes. The air deflectors absolutely make a big difference.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #29
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

It is great that you have reduced the cycling time, but my factory side-mount AC also cools about 20 degrees off ambient temp without any modification. Did you have the AC turned on "max", or did you possibly have more potential to cool more than 20 degrees?

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #30
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
It is great that you have reduced the cycling time, but my factory side-mount AC also cools about 20 degrees off ambient temp without any modification. Did you have the AC turned on "max", or did you possibly have more potential to cool more than 20 degrees?

Dave
Good question......the controls on this unit are digital. I turned it down to 65 and froze us all out of the camper. I didn't want to ice up the unit so I didn't try it any lower.

The one thing that I don't know is how well it will handle humid conditions. We live in SoCal and just don't have to deal with humidity over 60%. If we do get into a high humidity camp-out, I'll report back again.