TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #21
2bcs1jrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Catawbalea -

I agree with you, but I think your timing is wrong. IIRC, the older TMs (older than, say, 2000?) had stabilizers - small drop-down things like you would find on a tent trailer. By 2002 (my first TM), they had changed to true screw jacks rated at 5000 pounds each. My 2006 model still has these hefty screw jacks. I believe that the recent change you refer to was reported to be on the 2007 models.

Bill
My 1996 2518 has what I believe are scissor jacks. They create a diamond shaped space with a long threaded rod running horizontally through the middle and a rectangular foot. Am I using the right terminology?
Cheri
Old 09-12-2006, 02:19 PM   #22
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Cheri, it sounds like someone added those after market; yes they do sound like scissor jacks. Our 97 has the tent-trailer style stabilizers. They swing down and lock into place, then you can lower the inner metal tube (that has a rectangular or square foot?) onto the ground and tighten it up with a long metal rod. They are purely for stabilizing and can't be used to jack up the trailer in case of a flat, etc.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:45 PM   #23
2bcs1jrt

Yes, that's what we had on our tent trailer.
When we got our TM last year and got a flat, a well meaning tow truck driver stopped to help us. We were having trouble getting the TM jacked up high enough with our auto jack. He started cranking away on one of the rear scissor jacks and I was cringing cause I thought it would break under the pressure. Luckily it did not but it groaned like it was in pain.
Cheri
Old 09-12-2006, 08:54 PM   #24
RCCBV1

Again, my 2007 has rectangular pads. It is an early one, but it does have rectangular pads.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:23 PM   #25
commodor47
Site Sponsor

RCCBV1,

Guess I shouldn't have assumed all 2007 models have the circular pads . . . based on the 2619 I observed set up. Lesson learned.
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:44 AM   #26
Walter Roach

Default Backing Up Tips

When teaching my daughters and sons-in-laws to back a trailer, I stress having the tow vehicle and trailer straightened out to begin. Then, grab the steering wheel in the center at the bottom, and move it in the direction you want the tail of the trailer to go. Once you have it moving, backing off will lessen the curve, cranking it more will sharpen the curve. If it 'jacks' too much, simply pull forward a bit (a couple of feet, usually). Another key point: leave room for the front of you vehicle to swing out to both sides. Avoid being too close to anything. My wife, Debbie, has trouble seeing through the mirror and making adjustments the wrong direction. (We have decided that some people's brains don't handle the reversing option very well.) Since you have managed already once, you should get better very quickly.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:05 PM   #27
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Default Backing the Sucker

Of course, unlike with my old pop-up tent trailer, theM must be backed up using mirrors. I suppose one can hang their head out the window instead. In any case, acting on the advice of a friend, I find that if you must be turning your TM at the same time you are backing it up, it is much, much easier to place your rig so that the inside of your turn is on the driver's side of your rig.
By lineing up the TM with the pavement edge or some othe reference point behind on the driver's side, I have very little trouble backing up and making small steering corrections by using my mirrors.

WWG
WildWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:40 PM   #28
PopBeavers

I have convinced myself that some people can think in 3D, myself, and some people can not, DW.

After having gotten out of the TV and looked over the sight, as I am backing up I can mentally visualize all obstacles and where the TM is.

When backing the TV up to the TM, I first back up to within 6 inches and then get out and look. Then I can back up in one more shot for perfect alignment.

My neighbors are impressed. They always struggled when backing the TV up to the trailer.

My point is, if the teacher (dad) is good at 3D, and the students (DW or DD) have a brain that does not do 3D well, then have a little extra patience and try to find what works for them.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:46 AM   #29
vwmrbill

Default Chocking the wheels

Is it necessary to chock both wheels. Thanks. Bill
Old 04-29-2007, 07:21 AM   #30
lnussbau

On a near level site I wouldn't feel the need for chocking both wheels, but if there's much slope it might be a good idea.