TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

I've only used the Fiamma on this one 9 day trip and I did connect it to the trailer supports, not to the ground. My initial impressions: Much, much easier to put up and take down than the old Coleman bag awnings I've used in the past. It seems more sturdy than the bag awnings. I do have the tie downs for when I might set the arms on the ground, but having had a Coleman torn off the trailer by a micro-burst, I too take it down if I am leaving the campsite.
Mark
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default Support arm bent, then broke

Well guess I should listen to the voices of experience....

Last night we had a very heavy rain, but not windy. Started at 3am. Didn't go out to roll up awning because it was just rain and really based on past experience with my old popup, it should be no problem.

Well got up at 5 am and decided to turn on light to double check. That's when I saw the left arm (looking out from within TM) was lower. So opened door, squeezed myself out because you couldn't open it far, and discovered the support arm was bent just below the spot where it slides into the upper support. As I straightened it out, it broke completely.

At least where it broke will be easy to replace and was able to close up the awning okay.

But I have a real issue with an awning that is that fragile. While I love how easy it is to open and close, it is clearly very fragile. I read the Fiammaa manual and it states it is only for sun protection, not rain or wind. That's just crazy. If the awning can't protect me from rain what is the point?

I see two big flaws. First is you really can't lower one end to shed rain or protect from wind whipping it up. It just doesn't have that much leeway in the awning to really lower it enough to be effective. Secondly, The side that needs to be lowered is the door side, and you can't do that and still be able to open your door.

I really think that TM needs to check out some other styles of awnings.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
Beak12

Default Awning

We have had Coleman Bag Awnings and Dometic and/or A & E (I think)(on our Class A's) awnings and I would much rather use the one on my TM. Have had the wind & rain strong enought that neighbors have had to help take down the awnings. One time in VA we left for the morning and when we got back neighbors had taken down the awning because of expected high winds.
Today we only use the Awning for shade and at night or when we leave for over 1.5 hr. we roll it back up and put it away. It is so easy to set up attaching it to the side of the trailer why not. If it is a misty day and warm enough to sit outside we leave it up and drop the side away from the door (also using the middle support arm) seems to work just fine.

John
Old 08-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
Joseph

Wink When in doubt . . .

As others have stated, it is an easy awning to put up and take down. I use to stake it out and tie it down but..... to much effort and I do not trust those skinny support arms. When in doubt I roll it up. When I leave camp I roll it up. Have had some luck by not sliding the support arms out all the way. It makes for a smaller awning but I do not suppose would help much in wind but it is something I try. Rain, well you better have one heck of a slant on that thing towards the front of the TM and the center support installed with the fabric taut too. When in doubt, roll it up...
Old 08-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #15
TravlinOn

While agreeing that the awning is not strong enough for other than sun shade, I have found one other routine use that seems good to me. When I set up the TM, I usually will roll out the awning about 4 inches - not much - not enough to hit the top of the door, nor enough to catch the wind very much. The reason for this is to give a little lip over the door from the awning to move rain water and/or the AC drip out away from the door. Keeps me drier.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #16
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

One day DH and I were walking along Seacliff Beach campground in CA. There was a huge RV-size awning lying next to the dumpsters. I guess either it was really wrecked or that they had no way to get it into the RV to bring it home. The winds along there can pick up at any time.

We don't use ours very much, and when we do we close it down when we leave the campsite.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #17
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey'sMom View Post
Well guess I should listen to the voices of experience....

Last night we had a very heavy rain, but not windy. Started at 3am. Didn't go out to roll up awning because it was just rain and really based on past experience with my old popup, it should be no problem.

Well got up at 5 am and decided to turn on light to double check. That's when I saw the left arm (looking out from within TM) was lower. So opened door, squeezed myself out because you couldn't open it far, and discovered the support arm was bent just below the spot where it slides into the upper support. As I straightened it out, it broke completely.

At least where it broke will be easy to replace and was able to close up the awning okay.

But I have a real issue with an awning that is that fragile. While I love how easy it is to open and close, it is clearly very fragile. I read the Fiammaa manual and it states it is only for sun protection, not rain or wind. That's just crazy. If the awning can't protect me from rain what is the point?

I see two big flaws. First is you really can't lower one end to shed rain or protect from wind whipping it up. It just doesn't have that much leeway in the awning to really lower it enough to be effective. Secondly, The side that needs to be lowered is the door side, and you can't do that and still be able to open your door.

I really think that TM needs to check out some other styles of awnings.
We agree with others how flimsy this awning is. The work around seems to be only open about 80%, have one side lower for rain run off, and tie down. A&E makes a really nice awning for the pups as a replacement for the bag awnings. There just isn't enough room for the arms in the closed position to use it on the TM.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #18
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I don't use my awning often, but if I expect the awning to be up for a while (as opposed to a couple hours in the afternoon as a sunshade), I usually lower the legs to the ground, rather than using the little socket on the side of the TM. This gives a lot more freedom to lower one corner to any degree I feel I need. And yes, I roll up the awning when I am going to be away from camp. Winds can pick up quickly. And water is heavy, especially when it collects in a lopsided puddle and puts off-center stress on one leg.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #19
hjbourge
Site Sponsor

I looked at the fiamma site but didn't see any price for the tie down kit. I've been using rope with a hook on one end and a sinch hook on the other. Works good but I still take it down if it is very windy or we are away from the TM.

2720SD TM 2010 model
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Prodigy brake controller
hjbourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #20
Michoshisho

The same tie down kit is available many places. I bought mine for my Popup at Amazon.com. Look for Camcorder RV awning hold down strap kit.