TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

The bottom of the first shell that closes doesn't actually meet the top of the second shell that closes, they're kind of offset. There is also a bag seal (basically some padding surrounded by vinyl) that is attached to the edge of each shell that provides some padding and insulation. You'd have to see one in person, but it just doesn't get wet. Plus, the roof is sloped down on each edge from the center.

We do bring an angled broom (it's a carwash brush) along when we're camping, and if the roof is especially dirty, we like to broom it off before we leave. If we don't broom it off I don't think the rest of it would be dirtier, but we just like to clean it off, especially if there's leaves and pollen on it.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #12
Scott O

There are pads on the front edges of each shell. These are what keeps roof water out when it rains. They also keep the 2 shells from touching each other...can you imagine the racket if they did touch! If the lower shell is really wet when closed, then that water will run off the side and down the wall. Hence wet curtains. Unless it is pouring, you can usually squeegie off enough water to keep this from happening.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #13
CAmark
Site Sponsor

Most of the first shell, once closed, is under the second shell....protecting it from most rain while you squeegee it off...the sides get a quick swipe with the squeegee and then down comes the second shell. There is still some water "closed in" to be sure so opening and allowing to air dry a short time later (1 or 2 days max?) is still a necessity I think.

Mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #14
fischnet52

These are designed to close so that the 'tilt' of the two roofs as they close angle the runoff away from the open area - as long as the unit is still level! When I closed ours down for the winter last fall, it was already wet from rain and we were seeing the beginnings of a wet snowfall! So I was really concerned about wet stuff blowing/running into the big open gap after rear shell was down but before front was closed! Squeegee (well, actually a sweeper broom in my case!) and quick rag job across the top did the trick to get the lion's share of wet off the rear roof. The two roof sections close/seal against those dbl seals, not directly against the roof itself.

The inside made it through the winter just fine (we do use "Air Driz" or similar moisture absorbing material over winter) - glad we shoveled the roof 3 times to keep the snow load down though! So, if you're concerned about the moisture just between take down and next stop or when you get home, don't be concerned as long as you take a little care in the closing. When you open at next stop, you'll be dry inside and the little bit of moisture will evaporate upon opening up. If your stop is home, just open it up for air.

I'm glad to see the discussion on the curtains, as my wife was asking what we were going to do to prevent them from getting filthy! I was wondering about making a vinyl/plastic cover that would attach with 4 snaps to the outside of each of the windows - maybe 3 across the bottom. I've seen small snaps that you attach with a pop rivet, although I can't remember where I saw those now! Any thoughts from the long term owners on that idea?

Fred