TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-19-2003, 10:35 AM   #11
Happytrails

Default Re: Transmission cooler

Scott, I looked into your application, and here at home, I can't really say there is any other bigger radiator that can be used for your application than you already have. I will look into it tomorrow at work where I have my master catalogs with all my notes in them from the 17 years or so we've been in business. The radiator in your TV is only about 1 1/8" thick. Another factor that you may not be taking into consideration is whether or not the radiator in your TV is clogged up from years of residue. I've had to replace my radiator out because of that issue myself, as well as sold them for the same reason for overheating issues. What happens is calcium builds up in the radiator tubes at the headers, (where the tubes go into the two tanks), and it blocks flow, therefore causing a heat buildup when the vehicle is put under stress. There should be a 30-50 degree difference between the hot side of the radiator, (where the water enters it at the top passenger side in your case), and the cold side, (where the outlet is, on the bottom driver's side in your case). This can be tested by simply having a mechanic point and "shoot" a temperature gauge gun at each side tank. (Only takes about 10 seconds). However, you'd have to notify them in advance, or borrow one to test it when those conditions exist. (The gauge gun simply gets pointed at a surface, hit the trigger, and it tells you how hot it is, no contact is made). If you're not getting that temperature drop, then you've got a clogged up radiator, and there's your problem right there. Everyone says yes, use distilled water only in their radiator, but very few actually do, this is the reason for that recommendation, as well as the cheapest/easiest way to determine if that's your problem. Right off the top of my head, my book doesn't tell me there is anything more heavy duty available for your application, so whatever the manufacturer says is the tow capacity, means that they're not beefing up the radiator any to achieve that. (Though I might be able to find something once I look in my master catalogs anyway, I'm kinda good at that     &nbsp. A Ford Explorer for instance comes sometimes with just a one row radiator about an inch thick, with all the bells and whistles, and tow package, it takes a 2 1/4" thick radiator. (Which is all we sell for that anyway, as the one row 1" thick radiators just don't hold up). Same with the Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee. The Ford trucks are the same way, but not as interchangable. (Modifications have to be made to the fan shroud in order for it to fit). Sorry for the long winded post, but hope it helps ya Scott, and anyone else that might have the same kinda problem going on. For those that don't know, that's what I do for a living, work for my family's business that specialize in radiators, condensers, evaporator cores, and gas tanks, that's all we sell, automotive cooling componants, and a few gas tanks. (In the aftermarket, the same equipment used to build the tanks for all metal copper and brass radiators also is used to make gas tanks.) Also, as a matter of fact, we're direct with Ford's aftermarket, which is also Lincoln, and Mercury, so most of that stuff we sell is all original equipment, just doesn't say "Motorcraft" on the box......Anyway, hope this helps people.......

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........[/glow]