TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-06-2003, 06:10 AM   #11
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Default Re: IMPORTANT!  Check your nuts...(and bolts).

I would re-tighten the nuts & bolts and check them for the next few trips. If they loosen up again, then I would look into adding lock washers. Locktite will not help hold a sheet metal screw. There is not enough surface area involved to provide a grip.
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 09:22 AM   #12
Sinclue
Site Sponsor

Default Re: IMPORTANT! Check your nuts...(and bolts).

These are not sheet metal screws in this particular discussion.  They are the bolts, washers, and nuts that hold the black latching mechanism.  The "stirrups" (referenced elsewhere) are held on by sheet metal screws.  I haven't had a chance to do the fix on that yet.  But checking the other bolts is now part of the check list for each time the trailer is transported (even though I have used the removable type locktite on the ones I have replaced or re-tightened so far).

Jim
Sinclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 10:23 AM   #13
2619PDX

Wow, I would not have thought to check those bolts. Thanks. Makes sense. Wonder if that's why I've got a sticky latch on the streetside ???

Have to check on those too. As to the 4 front latches that lock the shells in place. The sheet metal screws on the vertical risers had come loose, so I drilled them out and installed 4, stainless 1/4"-20 x 1-1/2" long bolts with split lock washers and jam nuts. Worked out great!

Gregg
Old 06-27-2003, 02:34 AM   #14
bbeckham

Default Re: IMPORTANT!  Check your nuts...(and bolts).

Quote:
Wow, I would not have thought to check those bolts. Thanks. Makes sense. Wonder if that's why I've got a sticky latch on the streetside ???

Have to check on those too. As to the 4 front latches that lock the shells in place. The sheet metal screws on the vertical risers had come loose, so I drilled them out and installed 4, stainless 1/4"-20 x 1-1/2" long bolts with split lock washers and jam nuts. Worked out great!

Gregg
Thanks for the size details on replacing the sheet metal screws in the vertical risers.

Have you or any other member come up with a good way to tighten up screws which have worked loose in the main body of the TM? We have a few like that: around the wheel guard, refer grill area etc. Could use a larger diameter screw but it nice having all screws interchangable.

FYI we too lost a nut-bolt on our black spring latch this last trip. My husband had a terrible time in our rural community finding something which would fit. Now we will check them regularly and are carrying spares in our tool box.

Betty Ann
Old 06-27-2003, 04:00 AM   #15
2619PDX

Betty Ann:
So far, anyway, I've been lucky and haven't found any loose body screws...
I would think that you could tighten them up, and if necessary, put some RTV or other sealant on them before re-installing them... :-/

I have checked my black release handles, and the bolts are still intact...

thanks!

Gregg