TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
I was just guessing on the watts. I need to pull out the manual and see what the exact draw is.
The power requirements should be stated on a tag on the TV, somewhere near the power cord. Might be molded into the plastic case, too, but I'm not sure.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
I guess I'm brain dead sometimes...thanks Dave for the suggestion. We used to do that in the 2619 sometimes, we'd put the lap top on a plastic milk crate between us and watch a movie.

Any recommendations for one to charge the laptop?
You can get DC/DC converters for most laptops, and they're more efficient than DC/AC and back AC/DC when you're boondocking.
Efficiency
Old 07-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
CeeWoo

I second what Bill said. I searched specifically for an energy efficient LCD and found a 19" from Bestbuy that the specs say uses 29w (Dynex-but it's since been discontinued). I've been using it with a stand alone battery and a 100w inverter since I don't really want to take the chance of running the RV battery dry. I use the TV with a Dishnetwork HD receiver (which also draws about 30w). With a full battery charge, I've gotten up to 8 hrs usage before the little 100w inverter (with a little built in beeper) tells me I'm down to about 50% charge. Then, if I'm in a spot where there aren't others around that I'll disturb I'll turn on the generator, plug in the trailer and charge the battery at the same time. Let's me watch the news and maybe a baseball/football game each day for a couple days between charges

BTW-The TV, in standby, is rated at 1w. But the receiver uses almost the same wattage in 'standby' as it does 'on'. So when not in use I always turn off the inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
In my opinion (and it's only that, based on my experience), 21 inches is a pretty big TV for a TM. Perhaps an Elkmont needs something bigger than a folding TV needs, or perhaps you would consider stepping down to a 19-inch class. But there are other things to consider. A bit of research may make you a much happier camper.

If you rummage around sites like Best Buy or WalMart, you'll find that you can buy a 19-inch LCD 720-HD TV for a bit above $100. A similar 1080-HD TV is only a bit more. You will pay more than that for the inverter you are contemplating.

If you look for one that is Energy-Star rated, it will draw as little as 25 watts - considerably less than the 150 watts you are contemplating.

Some of them will operate directly from 12-VDC, eliminating the need for an inverter entirely.

If you insist on bells and whistles like Internet-ready, Ethernet-ready, a dozen different inputs and a dozen different outputs, volume levelling, the price increases, but IMO, a simple TV with a digital tuner should be adequate for camping.

You can get a TV with a built-in DVD player. I'm not sure of the cost impact, but if you watch DVDs on the road, it is worth considering.

Just my thoughts and experience. But I would say that an inverter in the 500-watt class is nowhere near your best solution, if TV is its only purpose.

Bill
Old 07-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
hoverlover

Naxa energy star 22in LED TV, built in DVD player, 12v power cord. 35w, 4A
http://www.amazon.com/Naxa-Ntd2252-C.../dp/B007LNTH6W
hoverlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
chowder1974

Default inverters

I'm plannong on running a 12inch lcd that draws about 30 watts plus a satelite box that draws 20 watts.

My TV can run off of DC power so I'm considering this little inverter:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017ONDXE/..._df_B0017ONDXE

Or should i be considering a much more expensive inverter that his hard wired into the AC outlets like this:

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/sure-sine
Old 09-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #16
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The cheap one should be fine. FYI, you can buy the same thing, for a bit less, at any auto supply store or WalMart. No shipping cost, and easier to return if you don't like it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #17
chowder1974

I ended up getting this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-2402-200...=IPYMFZ7JRP60Z

It will run quieter and provide a little more power if needed. The downside is I won't be able to run my little TV on DC power since my one DC outlet will have this plugged into it?

Or should I get a DC outlet splitter and plug the TV directly into that versus plugging it into the inverter?
Old 09-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #18
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowder1974 View Post
Or should I get a DC outlet splitter and plug the TV directly into that versus plugging it into the inverter?
That's what I did. Actually, built in a couple of new DC outlets and connected them directly (fused) to the battery.

It's more efficient that way so battery last longer when boondocking w/o a generator or solar. If that's not an issue, then it doesn't really matter.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #19
rumbleweed

I would buy locally with return priv, Some of the less expensive inverters ( modified sine wave) will produce unwanted artifacts on your TV.