TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELM-JLM View Post
I am very interested, please give a little more info!!!!
This is the kit that i got:

http://www.jefatech.com/product/RV-K...t-for-RVs.html

I just mounted the antenna to a pvc pipe to get it up above the TM roofline.

As someone else has pointed out, one can assemble one of these from single part sources but -- when i noted that they were using the Linksys wrt54GL which is the best model for this purpose and i did not want the hassle or risk (bricking the unit) involved of setting up a usable repeater firmware on it -- I went for the working kit instead.

Tim

Edit(22Nov2011): Mounted a Pvc pole to the streetside front shell edge using four "Gardner Bender 10-Pack Mounting Pad" for Cable Ties. Available at Lowes, 10 for less than $2. A second, longer pole will slip onto this pole at setup time by using a dry-fit pipe coupler (or whatever it is called) to mate the two pipes.

Pic1-Original temporary mounting just wedged in.
Pic2-Mounting Pad (StickyBack+Used existing TM screw).
Pic3-CableTies
Pic4-Pole mounted to TM.

When i next mount the antenna, will post a new Pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna (Small).JPG
Views:	179
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	5929   Click image for larger version

Name:	CableTiePad (Custom).JPG
Views:	198
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	6746   Click image for larger version

Name:	CableTies (Custom).JPG
Views:	186
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	6747   Click image for larger version

Name:	PoleMounted (Custom).JPG
Views:	198
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	6748  
Old 05-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #12
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Conducting A second campground wifi repeater test tonight in Panama City Beach Fl -- had trouble connecting without the repeater, with it all our computers have a solid connection.

Update:
Used the repeater during a 4 nite stay last week at Myrtle Beach SC State park, without it no wifi reception in the TM, with it, worked well.

Update 2:
Back at Myrtle beach but this time we are at least 1/4 mile from the campground wifi. Without my repeater, none of my computers see any wifi signal at all, using the repeater we again have a usable wifi connection to the internet. For this trip I did add an additional two foot extension to the repeaters outside antenna pole.

Update 3:

After staying in a motel this last week near columbus Ohio, I have now found another reason to use this wifi repeater everywhere i go when traveling. I was not using the wifi repeater at the motel and our computers were poked, and prodded by various other users on the motel wifi network trying to get into our computers. Accessing the same network through the repeater, secured with a strong password, creates an encrypted subnet that prevents wannabe hackers and nosy people from getting into our computers but still allows us to access the internet.

Update 4:

We used it on a trip to a campground in WV (just got back) and again it worked great. It was really useful because our smart phones could not connect to the campground router (some handshake protocol problem) but would connect and worked well when connected through the repeater.

Tim
Old 05-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #13
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Thanks for sharing. We've only had the TM out three time, twice with Wi-Fi access. The first time was just awful! We were at one of the farthest campsites from the office and access was spotty at best. Looks like I know what I'm asking for for my B-Day!
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
Dave and Diana

I am going to look into this before the 4th of July holiday as we are going to some Florida State parks. Last time I went to one sw coast, I asked at the ranger station if they had wifi and he just laughed at me.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #15
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave and Diana View Post
I am going to look into this before the 4th of July holiday as we are going to some Florida State parks. Last time I went to one sw coast, I asked at the ranger station if they had wifi and he just laughed at me.
We've been to a lot of Florida State Parks (in the Winter though!) and can't recall a single one with wifi in the campground.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #16
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave and Diana View Post
As Bruce said Fl SP don't offer WIFI as general rule. The concession stand at White Springs is an exception. The library just outside the gate is better and faster.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote