TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #11
Freedom

When I was in the military, the formula for sanitizing 400 gallon water trailers was only one cup of bleach for 400 gallons. We would pour the cup of bleach into the trailer and then fill it to where it began to overflow. Let it sit for 24 hours and then drain it. Next we filled it again - 400 gallons and let it sit for another 24 hours. Drain it again and put in fresh water. The guys from the hospital would test the water during this process and we never had one fail or anybody get sick. If we were in a foreign country, then we'd add one cap full of bleach. They said that there's so much chlorine in the city water here that there's no need to add any more when you fill it the last time. We always used the wash and rinse water to water the grass.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:42 PM   #12
wwjam

You're right about the chlorine in our city water, I can smell it sometimes. That's a very small amount of bleach for 400 hundred gallons, so it really doesn't take much does it?
Old 05-27-2007, 08:40 PM   #13
Freedom

That stuff will kill you! Between the chlorine and fluoride in the water it kills even the "friendly" bacteria in our insides and causes all kinds of bad things to happen to us. OK, I'm off my soapbox! Drink reverse osmosis purified water.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:04 AM   #14
PopBeavers

I have the optional 30 gallon water tank under the dinette seat in my 2720. I was often annoyed that I could not fill the tank completely with water. By removing the seat I could look at the tank and see that there was still air in it.

So the next time I filled it I cranked the front of the TM up a little. This allowed the air to escape out the vent hose at the front of the tank.

The end result is that some of the water sloshed out while driving to our destination. So the curtain was damp and the front mattress was damp. Not an issue. However, I ended up with the same amount of water as I normally would, because the little extra water that I squeezed into the tank just sloshed out the vent hole.

I no longer waste my time jacking up the front of the trailer when adding water.

We just got back from four days of camping with five adults. I would not have run out of water except we all took a shower Saturday night. I always carry 100 feet of white water hose. This time I needed another 30 feet. Fortunately I carry a pair of 2 gallon collapsible water containers, but that is a lot of work. I am going to buy another pair of the 50 foot hoses that roll up nice and flat.