TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Solar Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-09-2003, 03:53 AM   #11
2619PDX

Default Re: Solar Panels on TM??

Bruce. You've answered my questions. I really appreciate it. You've communicated this in an organized and easy to understand manner. Thank you. I'm going to read that book too.

Thanks for the tip about installing the panels to the sides of the roof. That'll help. we have a 2619 - not a slide out model. They battery tray has room for 3 batteries in series.

One of the things on my TO DO list is to install 2 six volt batteries in series, so why not just add the 3 now?

Then I can hook up my solar later...
Old 01-28-2003, 12:58 AM   #12
oilspot

Bruce,

Thanks for all the helpful information!

I was just planning to install a 5watt panel, which pretty much just trickle charges the battery...

On my last pop-up, this kept me going for a little while longer; but mainly it kept my battery fully charged while parked.

I got my 5watt panel for $30, so I guess I could get another one to up the wattage a bit more.

I suspect your system is a  "real" solar system in the >80watt range?  

Old 03-20-2003, 12:23 PM   #13
oilspot

Just wanted to post an update:

I finally installed my 5 watt panel last weekend.  In retrospect I think I should have gotten a second panel to make a 10W system, but I'm going to see how things work first.

Installation was a breeze.  I riveted the panel to alluminum channel and then urethane-glued the al channel to the roof on the extreme rear street-side corner.

Routing the wires were easy too.  The two halves overlap and with only the upper half open, you can see the front wires and coax.  I simply installed a third channel for my new wire and ran it parallel to the other wires.  

At the bottom of the upper section the wires go behind the seals.  After tinkering for a little while I gave up and tucked the wire between the folds in the corner.  After that it was a snap.  I just ran it through the same conduit on the torsion bar, and then under the trailer.  Right near the torsion bars is a cluster if wire nuts.  Two of those wires are the charging circuit for the battery (from the tow vehicle).

Now I have a cheap trickle charger and modest battery extender.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:49 AM   #14
2619PDX

Well. I'm finally going to do it. After doing the research, I'm taking Bruce's recommendations and am going with a minimum of the two, 80 watt panels.

I've already added two 6VDC golf cart batteries to the system for a total of 3 batteries (A model 27 12 VDC wired in parrallel to the dual golf cart string...)

I'm not putting in an inverter as I don't see the need for it in our family's case, and as I understand it, an inverter can be added later.

I'll be interested to see if it really does trickle charge up here in the winter time.

I'll of course update the post when the system fully installed.

Thanks, Bruce. I'll be in touch as I have a couple of installation questions for you.

Best,

Gregg in Portland
Old 05-09-2003, 03:04 PM   #15
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Please do keep us informed. I, for one, am most interested in how the two 80 Watt panels work for you. I mostly do boondock camping in Nat'l Forest and State Park campgrounds (for several days at a time) where even an electrical hookup is an unexpected luxury. Plus, because of the cold nights at 10,000 feet, I frequently need to run the furnace even in mid-summer and it really drains the battery.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 08:42 AM   #16
Bruce

Hey RockyMtnRay,
   It's good to hear of other TM boondockers out there. We love outdoor adventure, hiking and biking mostly, and our favorite places to camp are in Nat Forests, preferably near a trailhead.
   I put a catalytic heater in our TM - it just sips gas and doesn't use any electric. I think there is an altitude restriction on these things though so you may not be able to use them at 10,000 ft. (Nope, just looked up the Olympian specs in the Camping World catalog and it says they are good to 12,000 ft.) You might give it a try - they are expensive but the non polluting, non battery draining (and silent) heat they provide might  make it worth your while.
I teed into the gas line for the heater and ran a 4' section of flexible gas hose to the catalytic heater which I hung on the wall at the end of our kitchen counter in our 3124 slideout. It works well there but I have to move the chair over by the tv cabinet when I turn on the heater. I may experiment with trying to mount it somewhere else so I do not have to move the chair.
   Once we finally get a digital camera I will try to post some pictures of our solar setup. Or come by for a visit if you will be at the TrailBlazers national rally in June.

Bruce
Old 05-10-2003, 02:46 PM   #17
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default . Re: Solar Panels on TM??

Thanks for the recommendation, Bruce. Yeah, a tad bit pricey, but not unreasonable compared to the cost of our TMs.   And unlike most portable heaters, it's actually usable at the altitudes of most Colorado Nat'l Forest campgrounds (typically 8500 to 10,500 feet).

Not sure if I'll get one right away though...to avoid the almost daily afternoon summer thunderstorms...which are exceedingly dangerous if you get caught above timberline...I'm usually at the trailhead by 5:00 am for my mountain hikes/climbs.  That means I'm getting up at around 3:30 to 4:00 am so I want fast, blower spread heat from the furnace to take the chill off the air in the TM whilst I dress and prepare my breakfast (nightime temps at those altitudes usually fall into the low 30s even in mid-summer).  As you might expect, with that early a get-up time, I'm seriously needing to go to sleep in the evening before the temperature inside the TM is even noticeably coolish (relatively speaking).

Hence my interest in needing solar power...I probably use more electrical power before sunrise than I do after sunset.   ;D So I'm very interested in how other TM folk have done a solar installation and your pictures would be very appreciated.

Sorry, but won't be attending the national rally...my summer is already filled with camping plans out here in my beloved Colorado mountains. Speaking of which (and of hiking/climbing), here's a link to a shot I took last summer after a very strenuous hike/climb/scramble to the top of Mt Yale (14,196') looking SW into the sea of mountans that compose the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness Area: http://www.rockymtnray.us/images_gen...6292002A_1.jpg. (My TM is in a campground some 4000 feet below this summit in the canyon you see at the very bottom of the picture ). I climbed 6 of these "14ers" last summer and have plans to climb about 4 more of them this summer.

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 12:36 PM   #18

We have 2-100w panels on our front roof on opposite sides.  Total extra weight is around 50lbs max.  These were installed at the factory when the trailer was built, and the wires run with all of the other wires down one side.  The controller is mounted on the side of the refrigerator next to the sofa.  We have 4-6v batteries mounted on the tongue.  We have never run out of power.  The lifters are heavy duty (factory installed), and no problem putting the roof up and down.
 One minor thing to keep in mind is that, if you wish to cover your trailer at any time, don't install panels with sharp metal corners.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:57 AM   #19
2619PDX

Judy:
How are your panel mounted? Did they screw the panels into your roof?

Thanks,

Gregg in Portland
Old 05-15-2003, 11:13 AM   #20

The panels are mounted into the roof, and sealed with a non-silicone material (the manufacturer recommends against silicone.)  These panels are top quality, made by Siemens, with all-aluminum components.  Avoid panels with plastic frame construction (except at the 4 corners).