TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-01-2006, 06:21 PM   #11
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

We don't have a swing tongue but we do have a 600/6000 Equal-i-zer WDH so I feel comfortable offering input here. I just went out to look at our set-up and notice that the locking bolt on our sway brackets is in the 4th hole from the top while Rob's pictures show his in the 5th hole down. This means his spring arms are higher than mine when in the sway brackets. It occurs to me that adding another washer or two in the adjustible head and putting the sway bracket locking bolt in either the 3rd or 4th hole would lower the spring arms far enough so they pass under the pins and still provide the necessary lift. Just my $0.02.

On the sway preventing prowess of the Equal-i-zer: I did quite a bit of looking on the net before choosing the Equal-i-zer and found a number of people who praised them -- but only one person who had owned both a $400.00 Equal-i-zer and a $3,000.00 Hensley. I was hoping he would say they were similar but he said there was really no comparison in their ability to correct the severe sway problems he was having with his particular full-size trailer and TV. All things considered, I still thought it was worth the extra $100.00 to get whatever sway control the EQ provides -- also I just like the looks of them. I'd do it again without a thought.

Also, it's been long enough since Denny-A posted his accident report that many people may not have read it. Although they are likely as sway-proof as a trailer can be made, given the right circumstances a TrailManor will sway big time.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:38 PM   #12
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcatwo View Post
....snip..... All things considered, I still thought it was worth the extra $100.00 to get whatever sway control the EQ provides -- also I just like the looks of them. I'd do it again without a thought.

Also, it's been long enough since Denny-A posted his accident report that many people may not have read it. Although they are likely as sway-proof as a trailer can be made, given the right circumstances a TrailManor will sway big time.
I am committed to buying an Equalizer WDH....and I don't even have a trailer!

Yes, over-correction, after leaving the road surface for gravel, can set up a "divergent" oscillatory motion. It's over in 2 or three hypervetilating breaths.

Denny_A (..not that i needed an excuse to partake)
Old 10-01-2006, 07:02 PM   #13
RCCBV1

fcatwo
Your comment about adding washers to change the head angle is right. However, I am already at eight washers (the max), so I had to resort to inserting the spacers to move the Sway Bracket out. Again I did this modification with the advice of the manufacturer. I needed to make these changes to level the TM, and move the tongue weight to both axles.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:38 PM   #14
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Rob

!0-4. Sharing your solution to the swing-tongue/Equal-i-zer problem is a valuable contribution and offers an alternative to the pin-grinding method favored by others. Now we know of a least two ways to deal with the problem. They may be out there but I'm not aware of other trailers with swing tongues so it's not likely hitch manufacturers will produce special version of their WDHs to accomodate them.

I also see you've noticed we sometimes hijack good threads and head elsewhere. For whatever reason, starting a thread here is not unlike putting a note in a bottle and tossing it in the ocean:-). Keep up the good work.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:24 PM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
I also see you've noticed we sometimes hijack good threads and head elsewhere. For whatever reason, starting a thread here is not unlike putting a note in a bottle and tossing it in the ocean:-).
If you point out the hijack to a moderator via PM, we can split a "hijacked thread", retitle one or both, and bring each of them back onto its own topic. We don't always notice the hijack on our own, so don't feel bad about helping us. Splitting a divergent discussion into two threads can be a good thing, if for no other reason than a new title on the split portion it makes it easier to find relevant discussions in the future.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #16
phonongirl

This is an ancient thread. But I have a question so although you may not be around anymore I will ask it (just in case you are available to answer). I am looking at your photos because I expect we will be doing the same modification to make the hitch work for our trailmanor with a swing away hitch. I want to order the extra plates. I notice what I think is a discrepancy between your image and your written description of the modification and I want to confirm what we should do. The image seems to show only 4 extra inner link plates beyond the what is in the kit (item number# FA93-02-5200). I have ordered the WDH but it hasn't arrived yet so I am looking at the manual online as reference. The manual states that the kit comes with 2 inner link plates, 2 outer link plates, and 2 L-brackets. I can only count 4 extra inner link plates beyond the kit. I don't really want to order more than I need. If you are active on this site still, I would appreciate knowing if I am seeing your image correctly and that you have a total of 6 meaning I need to purchase 4 more not 6 more. Also, as it has been 10 years since your original post, how did this set up work for you? Did it stand the test of time?
phonongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #17
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

As you have noticed by now, the last time the OP signed in was in 2007. Perhaps you would have better luck if you posted your question as a brand-new thread. Your choice.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:06 AM   #18
Dhammer1

Hello phonongirl,
Just checking to see if you ever received an answer to your question. If so, how many did you purchase?
Thanks
Dhammer1 is offline   Reply With Quote