TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #11
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Exclamation The Anode is pretty long!

I wouldn't worry about getting it any tighter! Just apply some Teflon tape and be done with it. If no leaks you are good to go!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Exclamation B t w!

Dont forget to remove and clean all the fawcet strainers and flush the system while they are off!

2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Couple comments.

First, zero ohms is the prper reading for the element, as has been noted. The other possible reading is infinity, which would indicate a burned-out element.

Second, if you tap the threads, you may get metal chips inside the tank. Be very sure to get them all out. I might also surmise that the hole is specifically not threaded all the way in, to allow the glass lining mentioned by Dave to extend all the way to the edge of the threads. If you cut threads deeper, you may destroy the edge of the glass.

Some peole say - and I don't know one way or another - that you shouldn't use teflon tape on the anode rod, because the electrolytic reaction of the rod depends on having electrical contact between the rod and the tank. Others say that threads cut through the tape anyway, assuring an electrical connection. Maybe a good compromise would be to use tape over the innermost part of the threads (to block leaks), but to leave the tape off the last thread or two (to make the connection).

Finally, if you live in an area where there is a big flea market, you will always find a vendor who sells hemostats. One of the products on the table is a big pair of hemostats (6 inch or so) with a right angle bend near the pivot point. A great tool for fishing things out of a tank.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Some peole say - and I don't know one way or another - that you shouldn't use teflon tape on the anode rod, because the electrolytic reaction of the rod depends on having electrical contact between the rod and the tank. Others say that threads cut through the tape anyway, assuring an electrical connection. Maybe a good compromise would be to use tape over the innermost part of the threads (to block leaks), but to leave the tape off the last thread or two (to make the connection).
To answer this question with certainty, put some teflon tape on the anode, screw it in, and then put an ohm meter across the nut of the anode and the tank. If you have nearly zero resistance, the threads have cut through the tape and have made contact.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Thumbs up 0 resistance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
To answer this question with certainty, put some teflon tape on the anode, screw it in, and then put an ohm meter across the nut of the anode and the tank. If you have nearly zero resistance, the threads have cut through the tape and have made contact.

Dave
I just checked and all is the way it should be. The tape did not interfear!

2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #16
Steppy

Bill,
I won't be needing a hemostat, I found the remains of the anode on the ground about 25 feet from my TM, but not in a direct line from where the water spurt out from the heater. Another mystery solved.
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Curt WDH Trunnion 800 # TW
Steppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #17
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
Bill,
I won't be needing a hemostat, I found the remains of the anode on the ground about 25 feet from my TM, but not in a direct line from where the water spurt out from the heater. Another mystery solved.
That implies that the TM water tank loaded with a slender steel rod is a poor weapon, because it can not be accurately aimed.

Therefore, when standing clear as you un-thread the rod, not only make sure there is no one directly in the line of fire, they also should be a fair distance off to the side.

I was one of the people that mentioned the water blast technique a few years ago. Others may have developed the technique independent of me. I have the little plastic wand, but the blaster technique is more fun.

Then I use the wand.

In this subject, as in many other subjects, I only claim to know enough to be dangerous.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #18
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
That implies that the TM water tank loaded with a slender steel rod is a poor weapon, because it can not be accurately aimed.

Therefore, when standing clear as you un-thread the rod, not only make sure there is no one directly in the line of fire, they also should be a fair distance off to the side.

I was one of the people that mentioned the water blast technique a few years ago. Others may have developed the technique independent of me. I have the little plastic wand, but the blaster technique is more fun.

Then I use the wand.

In this subject, as in many other subjects, I only claim to know enough to be dangerous.
Welcome back. We missed you!
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:40 AM   #19
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Welcome back. We missed you!
If you haven't read it already, I posted about my skiing accident that occurred on February.

To summarize, I did not know that I could become airborne on skis when crossing a pipeline the wrong way.

At least that is what I was told. I was unconscious for 10 minutes.

Good thing I had a helmet on.

The long story is elsewhere.