TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
Scott O

For a rather significant number of reasons, most of which have already been mentioned, I feel that anything over 60 is foolhardy to the extreme... Every once in awhile I read a post by some blockhead that they always tow at 75. The life of their trailer and possibly themselves and others will be measured in days rather than years.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #12
joshbw

Sometimes I wish the TM didn't tow so good because I forget its back there. Every once and awhile I look down and see 70 (not even realizing it) then bring it back down to reasonable tow speeds.

With that being said the TM does tow better than anything I ever towed before...just keep the speeds reasonable and legal.

Josh
Old 04-13-2011, 07:13 AM   #13
klv5920

Thanks everyone! The previous owner had just put new tires on so we are ok in that area. DH is aware of tire pressure etc. and the need to monitor. I have gone to the forum on tires and read and read all the info there.
DH has a love affair with the speed control so that should keep us at a constant speed. And 60 or a little less mph seems very comfortable to us besides the fact that we need to make the gas go as far as possible! That is one of the biggest reasons for buying the TM. And traveling interstates locally is convenient. Don't plan to travel all the time. Too much to see on the side roads!
Thank you, thank you! You are all very generous in sharing your knowledge. I certainly appreciate it!!
Any questions on sewing, upholstery, repairing awning cloth? I have expertise in these areas and would be glad to help!
KLV
Old 04-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by klv5920 View Post
DH has a love affair with the speed control so that should keep us at a constant speed.
Cruise control can be good, but in my experience, it often is not.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?p=52711

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #15
klv5920

Thanks, Bill
I read your other post and will pass info onto DH. Good to know and I am sure we will find this out as we get more experience with towing.

klv
Old 04-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #16
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I love my Cruise, but, yes, I've often wished you could adjust how "aggressive" the cruise control is. With our Taco, I've learned just when to pop it out of cruise and when to put it back in. Eventually it gets automatic, you become part of the cruise control (sort of a Zen thing).

With our diesel Passat, and with any diesel I imagine, cruise is fantastic. The diesel torque just motors you up and down the hills with little gear shifting at all.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #17
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Bill
With a 6 speed transmission and 360 horsepower, I have not had that experience.

I can leave it on cruise control from Sacramento (elevation 200 feet, maybe) up and over Donner Summit (elevation 7085 feet).

Once I tap the brakes going downhill past the summit, it automagically downshifts for me. And it does a pretty good job at choosing the appropriate gear while downshifting.

But, not everyone has a large truck.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #18
rumbleweed

A different perspective
A 600 mile trip at 60 mph takes 10 hours you arrive safe and ready to have fun.
the same 600 mile trip at 70 mph could get you there an hour sooner but could also get you there several hours and an expensive repair later. Your decision.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #19
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Wink Shrimp Burrito is right - as usual

Manufacturer recommendations are a max. towing speed of 65 mph with tires inflated to the max. pressure shown on the side of the tire. Those recommendations are not for everyone else; they are for those of us who have Marathon Tires. Max. pressure is stamped on tire at 50 psi.

If you want to fiddle with the max. pressure and/or max. speed, be prepared to have a tire emergency.
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #20
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Post Don't Use Cruise Control When Towing

That's what my Owner's Manual says, and it also has a lot of other helpful information about towing, for folks who want to know.

Another reason for not using cruise control when towing 4,000 lbs behind us, is that it takes valuable time in an emergency situation, for the cruise control to disengage; by then, we may end up being part of the accident, instead of an observer. At the very least, it would significantly increase the stopping distance, when going from 88 feet per second (60 mph) to accident-avoidance speed.
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote