TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-23-2007, 07:53 AM   #11
2bcs1jrt

Boy, you're having a really hard time with them! I wonder if there has been some sort of change within the company. In the 2 years I've had my TM I have ordered many parts from gaskets to seat assemblies and don't remember having that much trouble ever.
Sorry it's been such a nightmare for you.

Cheri
Old 06-23-2007, 12:27 PM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Thanks for the sympathy, Cheri. I'm sure it is just a "busy season" thing, and a month ago (mid-May rather than mid-June) woud have been a lot easier. They do need to plan for the summer crush better - but I don't suppose that competent Customer Service reps are easy to hire at the last moment, and then fire 3 months later.

Thetford's lousy customer service department stands in stark contrast to Ed Lytle at the TM factory, who does it all by himself, and does it extremely well.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:34 AM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Just to complete the saga, Thetford finally came through - in spades! As promised, they sent me a complete new Slide-EZ valve assembly. For future reference, the packing calls it
"Mod 12836 Valve Assembly Electra Magic".

In a separate package, they also sent me the gasket kit. This is a set of 4 gaskets, the set that the Customer Service guy told me doesn't exist. The packing says
"Part Number 09872 All Plastic Slide EZ Valve Repair Package".

By the way, in my TM toilet, the actual slider in the Slide EZ Valve is a flat slab of plastic. But there was (is?) a version of the Slide EZ in which the slider is stainless steel. In that case, the gasket kit is Part Number 03827. You have to know which slider you have before you can order a kit. But I think that the steel slider was used only pre-1978, so you should be safe ordering the plastic one.

Bill
Old 04-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #14
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Bill,

That gasket kit -- 09872 -- does that have everything in it to fix the crushed seal problem? Do you recommend any other parts, like the closet seal, to complete the job, or is that in the kit too?

Interestingly, my local dealer can get the replacement valve assembly for ~$48, but they don't have any record of the gasket set either. I'm going to call a few other places though, and if I don't have any luck, will probably get them here (which looks like the right set):

http://www.hilltoprv.net/index.asp?P...D&ProdID=25938

or here:

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/Product...DID=79&CID=237

They are the only places online that I found has the kit.

Thanks,
Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:15 PM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Dave -

Item 12836 is a completely assembled Slide-EZ valve, with gaskets already installed. You remove the old Slide-EZ from the bottom of the toilet (about 6 screws, as I recall) and screw the new one in its place.

The gasket kit 09872 contains all the gaskets you would need, but not the slider and its housing. In this case, you remove the Slide-EZ from the bottom of the toilet, disassemble it (10 or so small screws), discard the old gaskets, clean up the surfaces, install the new gaskets, and reassemble. Really quite easy.

Neither one includes the big foam floor-flange donut seal, which I recommend replacing at the same time. I'm not sure if this is what you refer to as the closet seal.

Bill
Old 07-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #16
jdherr

Default Slide-EZ seals & flange questions

In regards to the gasket kit for the Slide-EZ, I was lucky and managed to get the gasket kit and foam flange from my local RV dealer. Should I be using any gasket adhesive on the gaskets and the foam flange before putting them on? I noticed that the largest gasket appears to be a peel and stick but not certain as I have not removed it from the package. I purchased my Trailmanor last year, but on the first outing this year, the toilet wouldn't hold the water charge. I dissassembled the toilet to discover the seals were in bad shape. Do the seals tend to not last very long?? Just an observation from seeing several people on this site having to replace them.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #17
Bill
Site Team

I don't recall the need for any gasket adhesive, but I do recall that the order and alignment of the gaskets (which gasket is which, and which side is up) was a bit confusing. Did you take notes as you removed the old ones?

One discovery that I have made in the last year - mirabile dictu (a miracle)! - is that an occasional gloop of Thetford Drain Valve Lubricant http://www.thetford.com/Home/Product...9/Default.aspx is a good thing. Available at WalMart, of course. Put it in, along with a quart of water, after you have dumped and closed the toilet, and let it sit until your next trip.

Bill
Old 07-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #18
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I don't recall the need for any gasket adhesive, but I do recall that the order and alignment of the gaskets (which gasket is which, and which side is up) was a bit confusing. Did you take notes as you removed the old ones?

One discovery that I have made in the last year - mirabile dictu (a miracle)! - is that an occasional gloop of Thetford Drain Valve Lubricant http://www.thetford.com/Home/Product...9/Default.aspx is a good thing. Available at WalMart, of course. Put it in, along with a quart of water, after you have dumped and closed the toilet, and let it sit until your next trip.

Bill

sounds great I plan to try this out.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #19
muz123

Default Thetford leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Bill

looks like I have a slow leaky sliding valve as our toilet will not hold water. I will try to find your removal procedures and order the whole valve assembly next week. Otherwise this trip has been interesting as there are three TMs in this campground in NH.
muz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #20
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Default Too cool!

Believe it or not as I was driving to work today I wondered how I would find this thread...and bingo...here it is waiting for me when I signed on.

I wanted to find it because the last time I was in a camping supply store I could not remember the name of the product that Bill suggested. I don't "think" we have a big problem just the valve was not quite as easy to push in all the way earlier this week.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote