TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #71
coralcrazed
BannedUsers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
If I use a WDH to transfer more than 120 pounds to the TM axle then I will exceed the limit. What would I gane by transferring say 50 pounds from the hitch back to the TM axle? How do I set up a WDH so that weight is transferred to the front axle of my truck, but none is transferred to the TM axle. I see no way for that to happen.
Correct... there is no way. by design a WDH transfers weight as evenly as possible across all axles (TV + TM). If your TV's rear axle does not sink or the front axle rise under hitch weight than you are good without a WHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I tow heavy. 4,100 pounds for the TM. 6350 pounds for the truck when empty. With cargo my truck probably weighs around 7500 pounds. 700 pounds just for the ATV.
Personally, I would find a way to reduce the weight so I could attach the WDH as a safty measure. But thats just me... The old saying two heads are better than one applies to two, three, or four axles are better than one. a WDH essentially connects them together in a way.
coralcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #72
coralcrazed
BannedUsers

speaking of which... I am having a very very difficult time finding a place to weigh the TM and TV. I live in NY and the only weigh station I know of is always closed when I check. anyone know where i can get this done and perhaps I will weigh it twice with and without a WDH and with and without the air pillws and see if they make any measurable differance on each individule axle.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #73
Redhawk

My local garden materials seller said I could use their scales, but that would be for a total weight only.

If I get time, I'll get the blocks and plank out this week Bill. Just for fun.......
Old 05-17-2011, 05:39 AM   #74
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcrazed View Post
speaking of which... I am having a very very difficult time finding a place to weigh the TM and TV. I live in NY and the only weigh station I know of is always closed when I check. anyone know where i can get this done and perhaps I will weigh it twice with and without a WDH and with and without the air pillws and see if they make any measurable differance on each individule axle.
catscale locater
Try Cat Scales; you can do repeated measurements on the same rig very cheaply.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #75
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcrazed View Post
Correct... there is no way. by design a WDH transfers weight as evenly as possible across all axles (TV + TM). If your TV's rear axle does not sink or the front axle rise under hitch weight than you are good without a WHD.
Personally, I would find a way to reduce the weight so I could attach the WDH as a safty measure. But thats just me... The old saying two heads are better than one applies to two, three, or four axles are better than one. a WDH essentially connects them together in a way.
The distance from the hitch to the front axle is less than the distance from the hitch to the trailer axle. So the WDH will move more weight to the front than to the trailer because of the difference in these two lever arms (the longer the TV wheelbase, the less this difference becomes).

The case has been made that 14" tire overloads on 2720's are causing tire failures. If that's true, I would expect things to be better below the sidewall limit, but not magically all better. So I absolutely understand a desire to limit load on the trailer axle.

I love the general idea of moving weight forward (especially from a heavy trailer tongue) to help with tongue weight and rear+trailer axle load issues (extra battery and water to the front wall in the truck bed? Room for the extra battery under the hood?).

But, even though I think a WDH is mandatory for almost all of us, I'm uncomfortable telling an experienced guy with a good sized truck that he needs to do something about his towing or handling problems when I don't have any actual experience with them or his vehicle.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #76
KevinP

Throughout the ages, men have engaged in passionate philosophical discussions attempting to resolve deep questions for which they use scanty empirical evidence: Does God exist? Have aliens visited the earth? Should everybody use a WDH? As the owner of a full-size pickup truck for a TV, I can think of at least a half-dozen reasons not to use a WDH if I can avoid it:
1. I can use the money to buy beer instead.
2. I don’t want more weight on my TM axle.
3. It’s extra work to hook it up every time I connect the trailer.
4. My truck sits level without it.
5. I’d have to put grease on the hitch ball. (Something I have never done in 30 years of towing)
6. The hitch assembly would no longer fit in the little external truck bed tool box.
7. There is no documented safety gain in my situation.
If I owned a lighter TV, it’d be a different story. I’ve used Air Bags, Air Shocks, (or “Air Helper springs”, but don’t ask the Auto Parts guy for an Air Pillow or you’ll either get a neck support or a lumbar pad) and they all work really well to lift the vehicle frame for leveling, increased suspension travel and some side to side stability. However, they will all quickly lull the unsuspecting user into the overloading the axle they’re put on. As noted, many tow vehicles have nice soft suspension for a better ride, and when the vehicle’s riding very low it is likely at capacity. Put the air shocks on, and now it looks safe to throw a few more things (or bodies) in the car.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #77
PopBeavers

I have measured the sag at the rear bumper of my 1500HD when attaching the TM. It is 5/8 inch. I am not worried about that.

I have not measured the sag on the 2500HD.

I have not measured the rise in the font for either vehicle.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #78
coralcrazed
BannedUsers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Throughout the ages, men have engaged in passionate philosophical discussions attempting to resolve deep questions for which they use scanty empirical evidence: Does God exist? Have aliens visited the earth? Should everybody use a WDH? As the owner of a full-size pickup truck for a TV, I can think of at least a half-dozen reasons not to use a WDH if I can avoid it:
1. I can use the money to buy beer instead.
2. I don’t want more weight on my TM axle.
3. It’s extra work to hook it up every time I connect the trailer.
4. My truck sits level without it.
5. I’d have to put grease on the hitch ball. (Something I have never done in 30 years of towing)
6. The hitch assembly would no longer fit in the little external truck bed tool box.
7. There is no documented safety gain in my situation.
If I owned a lighter TV, it’d be a different story. I’ve used Air Bags, Air Shocks, (or “Air Helper springs”, but don’t ask the Auto Parts guy for an Air Pillow or you’ll either get a neck support or a lumbar pad) and they all work really well to lift the vehicle frame for leveling, increased suspension travel and some side to side stability. However, they will all quickly lull the unsuspecting user into the overloading the axle they’re put on. As noted, many tow vehicles have nice soft suspension for a better ride, and when the vehicle’s riding very low it is likely at capacity. Put the air shocks on, and now it looks safe to throw a few more things (or bodies) in the car.
lol

I would agree with one thing... air pillows will not increase your weight carring capacity and it states that clearly in the manual. However, they do give you a much more comfortable and stable ride. NEVER load more than your vehicle is rated for.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #79
moaboy

Since many beliefs are rooted in emotions, it is more effective "to lead with values so as to give the facts a fighting chance"...from an article in The Week on "Made Up Minds." They were talking about a number of issues, why not add our WDH discussion as well?

This forum never ceases to inform and entertain me. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #80
Bob&Karen

I need a reverse WDH - turns out we have way too much TV for our TM. Could have probably used a WDH on our Expedition when we towed with that, even though the TV and TM sat very level when hitched. I would've probably just felt a little safer. As to whether or not I actually 'needed' one, I really have no idea - all I know is that combination felt very stable when towing, and even making the dreaded 'panic stops'.

Regards,

Bob