TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
ED-n-KEL

Default Smoke and Mirrors

Generally I agree with Wayne, but I wouldn't go as far as specifically saying someone is trying to get away with something. All companies do this, whether it's a trailer, car, boat, computer, camera, etc. It's basic sales "smoke and mirrors".
I recommend that you simply do your own homework for your planned TM, your TV, your terrain, etc.... and factor in how much you value your family's life. Pulling a 3326 behind a Odyssey is plain nuts... I'll go on record saying it.
If the TM factory is doing this kind of demo, it's a dangerous one.

Most consumers don't educate themselves before a purchase of any kind.
They buy a computer simply because of it's color, etc... (but you can't kill people with a blue computer.)

Driving a dangerously overloaded vehicle is deadly for you and everyone around you on the highway. I don't mean to offend, but I do hope to scare.
Do your homework before you blunder down the highway. Don't take anyone's word if your setup is safe. Figure it out for yourself, as you are ultimately the responsible party, no matter who told you what.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED-n-KEL View Post
Driving a dangerously overloaded vehicle is deadly for you and everyone around you on the highway. I don't mean to offend, but I do hope to scare.
I find this comment rather timely.

Yesterday we left camp and I failed to confirm that my trailer brakes were working properly. I was on a narrow paved road with no opportunity to pull over for 10 miles.

Fortunately, my 2500HD can tow the 4,100 pound TM just fine without under those circumstances.

When I had the opportunity, I resolved the issue and continued on my merry way.

The campsite was a full hour drive to the nearest repair facility, had I not been able to resolve it myself. Because nearly all of our camping occurs in the sierras, far from service facilities, I feel so much better knowing what I can and can not do with inoperable brakes.

For many other drivers, they would have blocked the road, walked out to where a cell phone works, then call a tow truck and waited several hours. As long as you do not go places like I do, and always stay on major roads in relatively flat areas then you do not need a backup plan like I do.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
robertkennel

Wayne,
I stand corrected Robert
Old 07-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
rumbleweed

Just because you see someone else doing it doesn't mean you should. See attached photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	3728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	3729  
Old 07-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
Nature Recorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
Just because you see someone else doing it doesn't mean you should. See attached photos.
OH MY! how can they steer that? And I am thinking CO Fumes from the exhaust should be high on the concerns list too.

Tags
honda odyssey tow vehicle, honda pilot tow vehicles