TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Michigan Kevin

Default Bent Axle

Been trying to get the TM ready to head south for awhile and found out the axle is bent or something to that effect.
The tires are wearing bad on the inside one inch or so and scalloped every 3 inches or so. Didn't notice until I was greasing the hubs. Put a level on the wheels and found them to be cambered in on the top. Measured across between tires, front and then rear and found I'm toed out (a 1/4 inch, hard to measure). Checked axle tube with a straight edge and found it is drooping. Common for overloaded and old axles from what I've heard and read. The local trailer guru told me the scalloping could be caused by worn spring bushings or egged out spring bracket holes, causing an oscillation on the road.

Options:
(A) Go with a heavier all new axle (5000 pound for $350.00 for everything but wheels, another 300-400 for them, 15 inch)
(B) Staighten axle tube and check bushings/bracket holes. Replace 14 inch tires.
(C) Reweld existing axle spindles to a heavier axle tube and the rest of B above.

All of the above could require new spring brackets and could be repalced with taller ones to accommodate 15 inch wheels.

Going to trailer shop to work this out. By the time I get it fixed or straightened and replace tires, it might be better in the long run to go bigger, will just take longer to get the parts. Arghh!!!

I'm not going to let this get me down. I'm committed to doing whatever it takes to resolve this! Even if I have to modify my old square wheel wells.
1999 TM 3023
2010 Traverse
'97 Silverado
Tekonsha P3 brake control
Pro Series WDH
McKesh mirrors
Michigan Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
BobRederick

Kevin

Be sure the tires are balanced. I am not sure what the wear pattern for that is, but I am suspicious you may be looking at it. Factory tires are notoriausly out of balance and result in a lot of damage to the TM shells, appliances and contents. A lot of lead is typically added.

You might call Ed at the TM factory and see what he thinks the cause and resolution might be.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
wmtire

Here is a link to pics of tire treadwear patterns and their probable causes.

http://tireguides.com/print_friendly...tails&ttcid=10
Old 01-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
Michigan Kevin

Bob

Tires have weights on them, I checked that before I bought this TM. Wish I would have crawled under it, but spilt milk. I never checked the date on them because they're shot. The inside tread has been ground away at a ~45 degree angle, almost to the cord.

Thanks, Kevin
1999 TM 3023
2010 Traverse
'97 Silverado
Pro Series WDH
McKesh mirrors
Old 01-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
larsdennert

By the time you rework the existing axle you will have spent at least the $350 cost for a new 5000lb one. Bending the existing one back is possible but it's probably fatigued and wouldn't stay straight for long. You could truss it by welding some square tube to the top or bottom. I would just spring for a new axle (HAHA). You could use your 14" wheels and get new tires. It would probably be $150 for three new 15" wheels and you'd need to make sure you got the two inch lift as well.

I wonder how that could have bent?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
Frenchy
Site Sponsor

The Dexter axle has four rubber torsion rods inside, there are no metal springs. Welding on the axle could ruin the rubber rods and leave you with no "springs".
Old 01-16-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
larsdennert

Hmm, sounds like option C would be hazardous too then.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
mtnguy

Michigan Kevin has a 1990 TM, and wondering if that was pre Dexter Torsion Axle.....maybe tubing or I beam axle sprung with leaf springs?? If that is the case, then bending back to original and reinforcing with additional tubing or angle iron to releave some of the metal fatigue could be an option, as larsdennert suggested.

Chap
Old 01-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
Michigan Kevin

I do have the leaf springs. I just Talked to Ed at TrailManor, he verfied I have a 3500 pound axle with 14 inch tires and that my M-26 is basically 3023 that is lighter (he didn't know how much) than the new ones (2915 lbs listed on TrailManors web site). I haven't weighed mine but have seen them listed at 2685 lbs - 2560 lbs. We discussed my options, trussing the old axle, along with Torflex axles and said if I want more load capacity to go bigger. The one and only problem they've had with Torflex involved overloading. The trailer shop guy did mention Torflex axles. Which got me thinking about option (D).

The 3023 comes with a #11 Torflex rated at 4000-6000 lbs. A direct replacement for mine would be a #10 rated at 2300-3500 lbs. Nothing in between. I know I would need bracket mods for these.

I would like more load capacity and bigger tires for safety and peace of mind.

Starting to feel like 'Monk' trying to make a decision.

Thanks for you feedback
Kevin

PS Ed mentioned they setup new TrailManors with a slightly positive camber. (out at the top) Easy to check with a level held verticle on the rim.
1999 TM 3023
2010 Traverse
'97 Silverado
Pro Series WDH
McKesh mirrors
Old 01-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #10
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Cool Go with the big axle.

I strongly recommend complete replacement, and think you'll be glad you did it. Those of us who ordered our 2619/2720 TMs with the axle/tire setup upgraded to the 3023/3124 5000 lb. system are all delighted that we did so.