TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2007, 08:40 AM   #6
Geoffrey Card

Default Cadillac

I would add the following points to the comment that I made earlier this morning: 1. I cannot imagine having a 40 gallon water tank, we have a 20 gallon tank and never leave home with more than 10 gallons. Even when camping on remote sites in Alaska we were always able to get a good water supply even though some of these were from hand operated pumps.
2. Why take the grey water away from the camp site? We have always found a dump site on or near even the most remote sites.
3.You do not need to carry gas even when travelling through the Yukon provided you fill at each opportunity.
4. Do not pack a lot of food, buy fresh as you travel and just take a few cans and some powdered milk for emergencies. All these add up to a big weight saving.
5. I do not believe in the 80% rule. You can be sure that when setting towing weight limits the manufacturers will have included a large percentage safety factor in their calculations as is standard engineering practice. You are only heeping safety margins on top of safety margins.
Geoff Card