TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #27
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
scrubjay - You need something like Phil bought, and you'll find them within the trucking industry, and these larger connectors are what connects the pigtail on 53-foot trailers to the tractor.

Here's a 2-wire connector (that's all you need) that accepts 4 and 6 gauge -- I actually was in contact with Pollak about it taking 8 gauge, and he said you might be able to get it to work, but it wouldn't be pretty. He advised against it. But you might consider using 6 gauge instead.

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Pollak/PK12800.html

You won't find any 7-pin Pollak connector that takes 8 gauge wire -- I looked hard last year.

Dave
Dave

6 gauge is out...already have the 8 gauge...... I wasn't planing on a second 7 pin anyway as I knew they were to small for the 8.

The problem with trying to make the 8 gauge work with a 6 gauge plug is the potential heat build up from excessive volt drop. Now you have a potential fire hazard. Just need to get into Ocala to a trailer dealer there. They have a bunch of different style pollak's since they build horse trailers.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote