TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2002, 04:33 AM   #1
Larry_Loo

Default recharging battery in closed TM

???
Awhile back there was a thread which also discussed recharging a TM's battery while the trailer was closed. Since I couldn't locate that thread, I decided to start another one about that subject.

Recently I had to install a new connector socket on the rear of my truck. The previous one was sheared off and smashed when it struck a steep graded driveway (I wasn't towing anything). That started me thinking about the feasibility of recharging my TM's battery by connecting it to a battery charger through a connector socket dedicated just to recharging. That is, this loose socket would have just 2 wires connected to it: a black  one attached to its battery charge terminal and a white one attached to its ground terminal. To recharge the TM's battery the trailer's Bargman plug would be inserted into the socket and the 2 wires connected to the positive and negative leads of a battery charger.

To those of you who are EE's and others who are knowledgeable about DC trailer circuits and automobile charging circuits, would this simple system work? Like many other TM owners I would like to find an easy way to bring my trailer's battery up to full charge without having to unfold it each time.

By the way, when I told my local RV repair shop that my connector socket sheared off, I was told that it happens all the time to tow vehicles. Since that shop had installed my previous socket (with two 8-32 sheet metal screws into the underside of my truck's rear bumper), I decided that I myself could do a more permanent installation of the new socket. It is now encased in a framework of 3/8" steel plate which is bolted to the hitch with grade 8 bolts. It's now more likely to plow a furrow into a concrete driveway rather than break off (not that it is my intention to test it out on concrete driveways!).