TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2008, 11:45 AM   #11
arniland

Default Re: Screws pulling out -- repair

Phil & Bill,

The problem is in my poor wording. I live in an area with a fair amount of industry. I've not been able to find these locally or on the web in smaller quantities.

As to which manufacturer, the better installation tools are not cheap and the brands I have are the brands I have had the opportunity to pick up reasonably. That's why I mentioned the ones made by the manufacturer of Pop-rivets which I had seen years ago in the consumer stores. However, when you install this type of fastener, the tool threads into the machine threads and pulls to mushroom the fastener behind the panel. How much to pull is critical to avoid pulling out the threads (it's easy to get too heavy a hand) and the better (read more expensive) tools make this easier to avoid.

As to which size to select, I have always looked at the screw I am replacing and picked something in that size range. Also, a little seat-of-the-pants engineering helps. Putting a 5/16-18 fastener in a 30 thousandth aluminum sheet would seem to be overkill. I am not a mechanical engineer. There are tables out there if someone wants. I'm more seat-of-the-pants. As you suggest, an appropriate grade of loctite would make sense. Not sure if you would need stainless. Someone more knowledgeable can weigh in, but it seems the aluminum is failing, not the fastener.

These simply seem a step up in quality, size for size, over sheet metal screws and a reasonable, permanent repair alternative. Again, I am a new owner. Over the years I have had sheet metal screw fastening fail and was only anticipating the same with the TMs due to vibration. Nothing on mine has pulled out....yet.

As the install tools are not cheap for a few repairs, I will offer to any Forum Sponsor who is traveling I-95, and needs to repair a hole or two, to stop by and we can have at. I live just south of Baltimore. I have an acre and they can dry camp outside our back door for the evening. They would have to PM me and coordinate schedules. Being retired and new owners, our intention is to exercise our new toy this year.

Arn

Arnold in Maryland
TVs - 2003 GMC Yukon XL 6L
TM - 2007 2720SL
arniland is offline   Reply With Quote