TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2002, 04:17 PM   #18

Default Re: Weight Distributing Hitch

Summary of my recent (within the last year) towing combinations, all behind the "Burly Girl" -- a Ford Excursion 4x4 Diesel.

1)  Towing TM2720 with EA-Z-Lift (I think that's how it is spelled) equalizing hitch.   The previous owners of the TM2720 included this in the deal.  The EA-Z-Lift setup is a bit strange at first, there's a bolt in the hitch used to angle the unit to take up or remove tension in the bars, in addition to the traditional "pick your link in the chain" approach.   I didn't really like the lift mechanism as the hooks used to catch the chain links are flat, and some times the chain would fly off the hook while I was attaching the bars.

I found this was less a problem if I left the trailer on the tongue jack when attaching.  Then you hook up the bar chains and raise the tongue jack.

Most of my miles towing the TM were with this setup, and I never had any problems with sway.   I sometimes felt the bars were a bit springy, though, as I'd notice some bounce.  I don't know the bar ratings.

2)  Towing the 2720 (short distances) without the bars attached.  NOT RECOMENDED.   Too much bounce on the front axle.

3)  Tried my old Reese equalizer setup.   I really like this, but my drop bar dragged as it is too long for the Burly Girl -- my old pickup was a little higher.   No sway control, and I like the setup better than the EA-Z-Lift.

4)  I also have a small Wells Cargo enclosed 5x8 trailer.  Doesn't really count, but I never used equalizers or sway control.  Again, no problems.

5)  The Reese setup also went into service picking up my new full-sized travel trailer (about 8,000 pounds).   THAT WAS HAIRY.  The load bars are under-rated for that much tongue weight.   And for the first time I decided I'd need sway control.

6)  Finally broke down and bought insurance in the form of the $2,700 Hensley Arrow.   Lots of bucks.  But with this much trailer I absolutely *would not* go without this hitch.  I'm convinced it's the best hitch available for towing.  May be better than fifth wheels, even.  The down sides (beside cost) are: when I leave the trailer for service - it has to come off.  Hitching up is different and takes some practice.

I happen to think the Hensley is not needed for the TM if your tow vehicle has a long enough wheelbase.  Shorter vehicles might use some sway control, but I'd try a friction bar first, before spending almost $3k for a Hensley.

Jon