TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2006, 09:06 AM   #8
Pat Stafford

Default Gas Mileage

I posted this on another query but it has gas mileage info for you.

My wife and I towed the 3124KS we just bought about 900 miles. The Prodigy brake controller worked beautifully and is very easy to adjust. It was my first experience with an electronic controller and I can definitely recomment it.

I have a 98 Chevy Tahoe with towing package that includes the additional cooling options and from past experience would recomemend those packages in any event if you tow any distances. My Tahoe seems to get a bit better mileage and maybe this is because of good break in and maintenance. With the Tahoe, power and weight are not a real issue but our mileage varied anywhere from 13 to 17 mpg with the 13 being in the Smokey mountains and the 17 being on relatively flat roads. There is a significant mileage increase of 2 to 3 mpg if we set the cruise control at 65 instead of 75. A strong headwind cost us 2 mpg overall one day. There was no sway and no issues with towing this trailer at any speed and it pulls easier than my boat which weights about the same but has less tongue weight.

The only gotcha we saw was that the tongue weight is fairly high due to the single axle. This caused the Tahoe to drop down in the rear but not to much to drive and not enough to bottom the suspension. Our solution after we got home was to get a WDH. A good one costs about $250 or so and is easy to instal. It leveled the rig just fine with no noticeable changes in the way it tows. It does add about 70 to 80 Lbs to the weight equation when you are loading the Tahoe and trailer and of course, shifts some weight back on the trailer axle and you need to consider that when loading the trailer.

Hope this helps.