TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-15-2005, 08:26 PM   #1
Russ-Bett

Default Inside Door Latch

The top half of the door on our 2619 does not fit tightly when closed. In order to seal the top half of the door and to provide additional safety while in the TM, I installed an additional "latch" similar to the one the TM people developed to hold the two halfs of the door together.

The attached picture shows the latch on the inside near the top right of the door. I used a 1/4 X 2 inch carriage bolt (20 threads per inch) and a lock nut. The spacer under the latch was made out of some dogwood (it is 1/4 inch thick) I had, and the latch itself was made out of some white oak (it is also 1/4 inch thick). I drilled a 1/4 hole through the door and installed the 1/4 inch carriage bolt. The head on the carriage bolt is such that it locks the bolt to keep it from turning.

This new arrangement seals the upper half of the door and give us a sense of greater safety. It would be very difficult to force the top half of the door open--likewise, if the TM has not been leveled properly, it will keep the door from coming open during the middle of the night while you are sleeping.

My next door project is to install a dead bolt lock in the top half of the door so we can lock the top half of the door, as well as, the bottom half when we go off and leave our TM. Does anyone have a good, easy solution to accomplish this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InsideLatchWeb.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	501