TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2017, 08:25 PM   #1
waldonew

Default Towing with 4Runner (newbie questions)

I'm a new owner of a TM 2720 and a Toyota 4Runner. I'm also new to trailering. I've been all over this Towing Rigs discussion and a couple of 4Runner ones too and have a few questions:

It appears that while there are lots of opinions about whether or not to use a WDH, a common suggestion seems to be try going without it and see how it handles. I'm in favor of that for several reasons: simplicity, cost saving, etc. So now I need to buy a standard hitch. But I'm not sure what exactly is required. I understand I need a ball mount (shank) and a ball to insert into the 4Runner's class 3 receiver. But I've seen ball mounts in different shapes to position the ball at different heights. What is the correct height? Somewhere in the hundreds of comments I've read someone said 19.5 inches to the top of the ball worked well for them. Is this a reasonable amount in general? I also read the trailer should be level or slightly lower at the tongue. I'm at a chicken-and-egg thing on that, since the previous owner brought the trailer to a non-level spot in my yard and I need the hitch components before I can move the trailer to a level spot. Anyway, all suggestions welcome. Oh, and I assume the ball size is 2"...yes?

Regarding the 4Runner and WDH, if I determine I'd like to use one, I read in one thread in a 4Runner forum that WDH is not recommended in late model V6 4Runners. The person posting said that the fact that the hitch receiver is attached to the cross member (inside the bumper) rather than the two side rails (main frame) meant the torque exerted by the WDH might cause the cross member to deform or possibly fail altogether. He said the owners manual stated a WDH should not be used, although I could find no such information in my manual. Any thoughts on this?

I'm glad this forum is here, it's a great resource. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the coming months. Thanks!