TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2004, 10:51 AM   #22
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:tow vehicle

[quote author=camperboy link=board=20;threadid=1712;start=msg13050#msg1305 0 date=1082043110]
Ray, I'd love to hear more about your temp sensor install. How you mounted the sensor in the pan. Where inside your cab did you mount the gauge? I had been looking at a pillar gauge pod with space for three gauges.
[/quote]

The project isn't finished so can't yet give a final report with pics....the sensor has been installed but the A-pillar pod & gauge haven't yet been installed.

As for mounting the sensor in the pan, I managed to talk a local independent Toyota repair shop into taking on the job. There were several issues: (1) dropping and re-attaching the pan isn't trivial because the pan is sealed to the engine on my truck with a form-in-place gasket using a special Toyota transmission pan sealant; (2) only with the pan dropped is it possible to exactly ascertain where the sensor & its mounting bushing should be put so that there is no interference with parts of the transmission that are within the pan area; and (3) to do the job properly, the sensor's bushing must be brazed/silver soldered into the pan (attaching the bushing to the thin metal of the pan with thread sealant or epoxy is just not a reliable method); (4) a corrolary of item 3 is that when done, there must be a very good ground from the sensor through the bushing through the pan to the vehicle's frame so that the gauge will read accurately. The shop that undertook the job wound up taking the pan and bushing to a highly experienced welding shop to get the bushing brazed (I think with high temperature silver solder rather than a brass braze). All in all, it cost me just over $200 for the job (including an oil/filter change and driveline lube I had them do while it was on their rack). Tad pricey but they did a very careful and very neat job...even put a grounding wire from one of the pan bolts to the truck's frame.

Now that the sensor is properly installed, the next step is to run the wires into the cab, remove the A-pillar trim and mount the gauge in its pod to the trim, then close everything back up again. I've been awaiting warm weather for this as I'm also installing an autodimming rearview mirror (with outside temp display and compass) while I have the A-pillar trim removed (the wiring to this mirror goes up the A-pillar and then under the headliner). Hope to do these steps starting on Sunday.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote