TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
daveinfl

Default Tire Fun On First Long Trip

We set out from Orlando going to Branson, Mo. All was uneventful until the tread blew off one of our tires at about 300 miles into the trip (see picture). We had Goodyear Marathons ST225/75R15 inflate to exactly 65 PSI.

We bought our 2010 2619 used from Dream RV in Florida. The tires looked like new. In fact they still had the new markings on the outside of the tire. No signs of dry rot, or other noticeable issues. I had done a bearing job just before leaving on our trip. Hubs were not hot and the wheel didn't feel hot.

Made radical decision to change both tires and the spare. Found a wonderful dealer that worked a lot with travel trailers. He had the Marathons ... but said we would be better served with an E rated 10 ply steel belted radial tire. His explanation was sound I thought. So we purchased them. We ended up with Akuret ST225/75R15 HF188
Max Load 2830 LBS
80 PSI
DOT 83B4 HFA

I stopped several times traveling the rest of the way to Branson and felt the tires. They didn't feel really hot and seemed to ride well. Here is my issue. The tire guy said he would run the tires at 50 PSI. Yet the tire says 80 PSI. I checked the DELNAT web site (they make the tire) and really couldn't find an inflation range. I have read suggestions from Bill and others about inflating them slightly less than rated during the hot months. But now I am confused. Should I run them at the suggested 50 or the rated 80 PSI. I was even thinking a compromise at Trailmanor's 65 PSI. Looking for some good advice on this. Heading up to Toledo, Ohio Saturday morning and don't want any problems.

Many thanks. Daveinfl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1218.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	10096  
2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
with tow package
daveinfl is offline   Reply With Quote